Masters degree

TheReverend(c)

Back in 2000 I recieved my b.s. in physics. One thing one of my professors told me was interesting. He said that even though he had a phd in physics, the only real job he could get in the midwest was to teach physics. He told me that maybe I should transfer my credits (about 85% of my credit hours could go to another technical degree) to a degree that had a better job outlook. I did enroll shortly after graduation to a vocational school here in Sioux Falls. We have one of the best technical schools in the country here. I recieved a 2 year degree (went for 1 year after rollover) in computer technology. My professor was right. I could get jobs in computers (before my deployment to Iraq, again) all over. But I still love physics and have decided to go for a masters in the hopes that someday Ill get a ph.d before Im an old man. I know a few of you have had post graduate schooling and wanted to know whats all involved and read your thoughts on it. I see that it usually takes another 2 years for a masters in this field and another 3 to 4 for a doctorate. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanx all, The Rev. :D

I dont think Im going to be much help for you, but I have decided to go back to college and get my masters as well.. Im shooting for this spring, but if not, defintely next fall.

And you are right about computers, I have a B.S. in Computer Science and Im not sure what I want my masters in. I dont think I can handle anymore computers. I would really like a geology degree.

Geology/Computer Science == earthquake, volcano, weather pattern prediction. Modeling and simulation baby, which is another degree offered at the masters level.

Can't speak from experience on this, but more of an additional question for our members.

If anyone has experience of it, I'd be interested to hear, I've been toying with doing an MBA in the next couple of years so any experiences that anyone has had with post graduate education would be much appreciated reading.

even though I can't get you experience on an MBA I do have some knowledge. Here at work.. I work for a defense contractor. Starting off as a programmer I have the option to take a few different paths to move up.

1. Continue down the technical side and eventually make it to software engineer.

2. Get an MBA and eventually move into the managment side.

I personally like the technical side, I know I could manage, but I like what I do, so Im not geared toward getting an MBA, but some of the guys I work with that are at the same level as me are starting this fall to get their MBA.

p.s. I hear you make more money if you get your MBA.

FWIW, especially if it's a thesis-terminal Master's program (they do have non-thesis options at some schools) you will have to keep on top of yourself and your advisor if you expect to get a Master's degree in a science field. It's probably more accurate to think in terms of 3 years / 5 years Ph.D., but that all depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is how much credit you get at the Ph.D. level if you stay in the same school after finishing a Master's, etc. Also, if you can land an assistanceship, that's gold: Money while you educate yourself and usually free tuition for relatively little time spent working. That's assuming you can't get the Army to send you to school, I've known a few people who have come and gone through our center from the Army. Then, two years is a relative cake walk: Your full-time job IS studying. Study hard, if you really want the degree you can get it, but you will have to work to do it in a reasonable time frame, because it's easy to get off track or slack, and that will put you way behind early on. Best of luck, man!