Power Painter

Dingy

Well, 'tis time for me to paint all the bifold closet doors in the basement (6 pairs).

You know - the louvered ones. Actually the ones I have are the ones where the top

half of the door is louvered and the bottom half is raised panel.

Anyway -

granted, I am a demented individual that does like to paint. However, I do have my limits,

and these doors are it. Since the doors will be red (well, a red clay-like color), they will

need at least four coats of paint (white primer underneath). Because I have so many

coats to put down, I have seriously been thinking of using a paint gun and back-brushing

where needed.

So the question is -

What is the best solution? Is it better to use a power painter, or get a spray gun for my

compressor? Or should I use an HVLP rig? The equipment will need to be for water-based

products only (both paints and varnishes). FWIW, I do use a good amount of Floetrol when

painting.

The reason for so many questions is that I want something I can use for other projects

(like the built-in closets that I have to do) as well as having something that will greatly

improve my productivity (and make we want to use it agin and agin and again)....

All input would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks folks!

I used a sprayer with my compressor to paint a bunch of stuff around a rental house.

It wasn't efficient and the aerosol mist was extensive. You also need additive to make sure it gets thru the sprayer.

However, it was faster than hand painting, was easy to clean up and only cost me around $30 for the sprayer.

Have them dye the primer to a closer color to the paint, that should save a coat or two.

The doors are factory primed. If they weren't, I would go that route. Of course, I used the same color in our dining room - and I still needed four coats after the wonderful coral-colored primer!

• 2 weeks later...
->Fish' date='Sep 11 2006, 10:02 PM' post='365589']

here is a link to a cheap HVLP gun totally worth the small amount of cash in labor and aggravation

Linky

$40? Looks like I'll need to take a trip to the local Harbor Freight store. I'll definately take a look at it.

Thanks Fish!