A short-short story

[LaW]Maverick

“The German and the Jammed Rifle�

The bullet whizzed past Ryan’s head, creating a tiny explosion of dirt close to his right eye. He quickly ducked behind the corner in front of him so that he was less exposed. That’s when something odd happened. There was a German soldier crouched low against the half destroyed wall doing something with his rifle. After only a split second, it became apparent that his rifle was jammed. Following the completion of the full second, the German soldier became aware of Ryan and the German’s hands went up; his rifle clattering to the ground. Ryan didn’t know what to say, so something odd came out of his mouth.

“Rifle jammed?�

“Yes,� came the heavily accented reply.

“I hate that,� said a certain American soldier who was astonished with himself.

“Are you going to kill me?� The German did not seem happy with this prospect, and surprisingly enough to Ryan, he did not either.

“You know what? Why should I? What are you doing here so far away from the rest of your company?� Ryan kept the open end of his barrel leveled at the Germans left nostril just in case, but at this moment, had no intention of pulling the trigger.

“I’m just trying to get away. I’m tired of this, I do not know why I am here, and I want to go home.� It took Ryan a few moments to decipher the broken English coming from the German’s lips, but when he did understand, a tear ran down his left cheek.

“Kick your rifle over here.� Ryan bent and picked up the German’s rifle when it slid to his boots. He pulled back hard on the slide, and used his combat knife to pry out a jammed bullet from the chamber. After loading the weapon properly, Ryan tossed it back to the German.

“This is probably one of the dumbest things I’ve done in my life, but take it and get out of here. If I catch you goin’ in any direction but away from the fighting, I’ll make you die slow.� Ryan winked as the look of shock affixed itself to the German’s face.

“Thank you. I do not understand.�

“What’s there to understand, I see you tore your swastika off, and now I see you trying to run away, so do it. Get out of here. Go to your family, and live a life that doesn’t involve this damn war.� Ryan helped the German up.

“I do not know how to thank you properly, butâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“The German, in a sudden fit of aggression, pushed Ryan to the ground, and put a boot on his chest. Ryan could see the bullet exiting the rifle that he had just fixed and entering his forehead, but that’s not what happened. The German fired three times at something behind Ryan. When he cranked his neck to see, Ryan could see another German soldier, this one wearing his swastika, dead with three growing crimson stains on his chest.

The German was helping Ryan up this time. “Well, I think you’ve just thanked me properly.� Ryan, once completely to his feet with rifle in hand, bid goodbye to the German, “Godspeed, friend." Don’t let me ever see your face again.� The German simply clapped Ryan on the shoulder and started walking away from the fight. Ryan turned in the opposite direction and never looked back, thankful of not receiving a bullet in his back.

(the idea was to keep a very short story to only a page including a mini-plot. I wrote it a while back in college...not the best writing I've ever done, but I didn't want to post up my novel work.) :peace: Oh, and it was supposed to be mostly dialogue as well.

Edited by [LaW]Maverick