NEED HELP!

General J

Alright. Let's start with the pressing issue. Today, my computer starts freezing when CS is started. I launch using HLSW, and when the console gets to "Trying to authenticate with WON Servers" it freezes. The modem is still showing activity, but thats as far as anything goes. Net_graph 3 freezes at 5.3 FPS everytime. This just started happening today. I deleted and reinstalled CS, with no luck in solving the problem. Maybe I should reinstall HL and CS?

The strange part about this is that when I go through CS itself, and I click Play CS the Play Online, it freezes. In both cases I can do alt-ctrl-delete but nothing happens except a cursor appearing and no change in screen. I then have to shut off comp and reboot.

My next dilemma is that I currently am running Windows 98... not 98 SE.. straight 98... never have reformatted since computer was bought (est. 2 years ago). I currently have a Windows XP Pro disk I am borrowing from a friend and desperatly want to reformat. I have been told over and over that XP is much more stable and will give less trouble. My family is a bit ridiculous and keep stalling this process. Can you give me a brief- down to earth- common term list of XP's advantages over 98? They don't seem to believe me.

** I AM AN IDIOT! I should learn to check other forums for help... Fixed now !** P.S. Can be deleted

I really cant tell you why it is any better, but it just is, you will see if you ever install it, boots and shuts down faster, much more stable. No need for third party software to make a cd, just drag the file to your cdrom drive....um...it comes in the nasty blue, but you can change it to make it look just like 98. Makes your comp a lil faster, overall much better IMO

Thanks for the help guys. I stumbled on that topic right after I wrote that out.

I just need to threaten um with the ole "Do you want the computer to work or not?" That usually seems to work pretty well. :D Right now the computer locks up very frequently. I am hoping the reformat and newer OS will help out.

Thanks again guys!