Any coders out there?

-=SKArface=-

Is there anyone out there who writes software? I've been doing development for a bunch of years now (writing the UI for a network security appliance) and am just curious.

I'm currently working on a perl based image gallery generator (in my spare time). Anyone else working on anything interesting?

I do .Net development. Been doing VB.Net Windows development for the last 2 years. Everything from the database (SQL) up to the UI.

I make bank software...and yes...my life IS like Office Space and I COULD do what they did of Office Space with the virus. No I haven't and won't.

I do .Net development. Been doing VB.Net Windows development for the last 2 years. Everything from the database (SQL) up to the UI.

I make bank software...and yes...my life IS like Office Space and I COULD do what they did of Office Space with the virus. No I haven't and won't.

I don't think I've ever done windows development. (unless you count stuff under cygwin) Some of the stuff I've read about seems really interesting though. I'd have to get my C/C++ chops back though, I haven't touched either language in years.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()

{

printf("I am learning C in university right now.");

return 0;

}

That should most likely be...

int main(int argc, char **argv)

{

}

or

int main(void)

{

}

depending on compiler. :)

Just remember, unbounded buffer manipulation is the root of all evil. gets, puts, etc should be banned.

#include <stdio.h>

int main()

{

return 0;

}

{

}

or

int main(void)

{

}

Just remember, unbounded buffer manipulation is the root of all evil. gets, puts, etc should be banned.

void it is!

#include <stdio.h>

int main()

{

return 0;

}

{

}

or

int main(void)

{

}

Call me crazy, but I'd guess you learned your C on *nix.

see that's why I like doing VB.Net actually...I don't worry about all that "programming" crap...I just type some words and phrases that are vaguely English and a program pops out.

Private Sub MySub(This As Boolean)
 If This = True Then
	  Do some stuff
 End If
End Sub

and Visual Studio probably put 80% of that code in there for me anyway.

I can't believe they pay me to do this...

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

I did VB in highschool for 2 years, and Java for 1. We shot videos and made a choose your own adventure in VB with a hidden ending for our final project. It was pretty sweet.

I remember some vb and absolutely no Java. Too much playing Tribes over the school server to remember it :)

#include <stdio.h>

int main()

{

return 0;

}

{

}

or

int main(void)

{

}

Call me crazy, but I'd guess you learned your C on *nix.

Yup. The prototypes (at least the first one) are right out of the K&R book though, not really *nix specific.

I just recently got a new job and we use the Delphi Development Environment (C++ Based).

What we do is...

< Men in black enter the room... >

Uh hey guys...I wasn't doing anything wro...

< Club Slaughter >

Hey! That hurt!

< Men in black > Your coming with us pal!

Hey WAIT!

:D

Yup. The prototypes (at least the first one) are right out of the K&R book though, not really *nix specific.

Not at all. The first one is ANSI, I think the second one is as well (and if not it's certainly well-practiced). It's just that Nixers tend to pay more attention to that kind of stuff, or at least so I've noticed.

Of course, after years of sitting at Solaris boxes, you come to really appreciate convoluted "standards".