What I'm learning

Just thought I'd throw this up here. I've been learning a lot lately... well, actually over the last many years as a Christian.

I've been learning about how faith, works, salvation, grace, mercy, etc all fit together, especially when it comes to the idea of "rules" a Christian is to follow. I'm not talking about legalism, I'm talking about passages such as Rules for Holy Living (niv title) in Col 3 or Galatians 5 about freedom in Christ yet living by the Spirit.

In reading John 14-17, which is Jesus' last words for his last week of life before his crucifixion, I am starting to realize more and more that the whole point of the Christian life is found in John 15:5.

This is the passage about Jesus being the Vine, we are the branches, the Father is the gardener. Jesus calls us to remain in him. He doesnt say, "prove yourself to me and to you and to others by bearing fruit", or even, "love eachother cause I told you to." He primarily wants us to remain in him. Apart from him we can do nothing.

For the most part, Jesus life with his disciples was just being with them. His essence (the word 'nature', in Philippians 2:6, 'who being in very nature God') rubbed off on them as he spent time with them. We are called to abide in Christ, and in doing so, his essence will rub off/fill/change us too. But this will be from the inside out.

Then and only then, when we are changed, will we be able to bear fruit. It will be a natural result of being transformed into the image of Christ. The fruit HAS to come as a result. This will be the of us remaining in Christ, and a sign to us and others. But abiding must come first, because struggling to bear fruit so that we can abide in Christ is working backward, and not really bearing fruit at all.

Just my 2 cents. I guess it's another reminder to myself that Grace is totally unearned (by me) and undeserved (for me). Thank God that He has done what was impossible for me to do.

Thanks guys. What about y'all? Anything new?

I just realize last night, hit me like a blast of cold water, that I had gossipped about a prof to a friend. Ouch, had to go apologize today. Humble pie is the hardest thing to get into your mouth and swallow, but once it's down you're finally satisfied ;)

If you read the Danielle thread, then you pretty much know about how my faith went hardcore.

Here's my take on things:

It's easy to have faith when things are going good. It's a whole 'nother test of faith if you can breathe and speak Christianity during difficult times.

It's a good take. I'm a little backward on that sometimes. I find it easier to remain faithful when times are harder. However, for me, the worst time of all to mess up is when things are just coasting along and nothing awesome or terrible is happening.