Hardware for my Gaming future

MaDPaT

Waht's the slow motion you experience? If anything with a monitor it would be an issue when you move the mouse and you slightly feel the screen move after you've moved the mouse. I get this every once in a while, but I think it's a stupid logitech driver for my mouse (g5). What kind of frame rate do you get normally for playing UT?

In DM levels I am getting anywhere from 200fps to 700 fps. In ons I think i get from 50-150 depending on the action and server size. Today I was getting about 80 with 32 bots in Torlan and installing HL2 at the same time. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waht's the slow motion you experience? If anything with a monitor it would be an issue when you move the mouse and you slightly feel the screen move after you've moved the mouse. I get this every once in a while, but I think it's a stupid logitech driver for my mouse (g5). What kind of frame rate do you get normally for playing UT?

In DM levels I am getting anywhere from 200fps to 700 fps. In ons I think i get from 50-150 depending on the action and server size. Today I was getting about 80 with 32 bots in Torlan and installing HL2 at the same time. :)

how do you determine the fps?

Type ~ then type 'stat fps' (without the ')

Or download fraps and run that at the same time in the background. Or do both. :)

Thanks for the stat fps in control pannel. You mentioned earlier that crucial ram that I was purchasing may not be overclockable. You were right. The standard Crucial ram in not for overclocking. The ballistic version which I am planning is. Thanks for the heads up. I like to double check everything. Even though Newegg kind of endorsed it and you did not, I decided to check deeper into ram capabilities. Can't be too sure. I am ordering my 2100 dollars of stuff today. Oh hell am I nervous.

:D sweet! That's gonna be HUGE difference for you. I just bumped my 6600 up to 3.0 on stock volts, and no sweat at all. It's gonna be a piece of cake for you!

Dude, you're gonna start owning me soon! :) What was your framerate at anyway?

Just sent order to new egg and charge card declined it. OH hell. Seems I do not use my charge card that much so when I put it through Chase Mastercard did not bother to contact me. They thought someone was using my card but not contact me. Got to get in touch with newegg tomorrow during phone hours. Order took 15 minutes to do and verify. Nervous enough as is.

I macroes my fps stats I inputted to Nostromo so I could see what I was getting whenever I wanted. Pain it overlays map. It is around 60 fps. How is that? That is with a 6200 oc Nvidea card at 600x800 res with no extras in graphics setup. What do you get?

Jumping! I had that exact card and played at that exact resolution last year and the year before! I had it with a P4 @ 2.0 and 1 gig of ram. I could still get decent kills, but I was getting from 15-30 fps in Ons with it. I think at 60 you're doing great with what you have.

Tonight I was getting around 80 normally, dipping to 40 now and again with lots of action. I am also playing with AAx4 and AFx16 on (in the program drivers for UT) and @ 1920x1200. I'm happy with the framerate I'm getting. You'll be able to play at every framerate with 100+ fps with everything maxed when you get your new machine. It' sgonna look so pretty to you! :D

Btw, with fraps you can change where the fps is to any corner. It may slow your system down a LITTLE though...

I have a 24" widescreen, and to some degree the opponents are larger, but when you bump up the resolution it's not as large as you were expecting. And when you have 2million pixels to process, you have to have a good setup for it, etc.

Maybe that's what my problem is. All the players seem to be getting smaller and darker, I figured I was just getting old! I never thought about lowering my resolution. :unsure:

Jumping! I had that exact card and played at that exact resolution last year and the year before! I had it with a P4 @ 2.0 and 1 gig of ram. I could still get decent kills, but I was getting from 15-30 fps in Ons with it. I think at 60 you're doing great with what you have.

Tonight I was getting around 80 normally, dipping to 40 now and again with lots of action. I am also playing with AAx4 and AFx16 on (in the program drivers for UT) and @ 1920x1200. I'm happy with the framerate I'm getting. You'll be able to play at every framerate with 100+ fps with everything maxed when you get your new machine. It' sgonna look so pretty to you! :D

Btw, with fraps you can change where the fps is to any corner. It may slow your system down a LITTLE though...

I have almost no added visuals with my ut2004. No shadows, no fine details, etc. If I go 2 steps lower everything will be composed of boxes. That is why I have the 60 fps.

Contacted egghead and hope order has been cleared up. On vacation now and best time to put it together. Don't know what AA and AF but assume graphics intensive for more realistic gaming. I am getting this system to play ut3 and handle my computer needs for next 5 years. Big benefit is that as I grow this system will be able to develop with me in regards to better cpu (when price decreases), more video (second graphics card), and alot of harddrive space. Best thing is that the case fits alcove in my desk and has a ton of ventilation fans (antec 900).

Was looking at dell 24 inch widescreen but no funds available. Would be nice to see Bushwack a little larger to target. A couple of days ago, only me and bushwack on nepenthe and my ego as a player was annihilated. This will most likely be a future purchase but time will tell. New system has to work first.

AA and AF:

Antialiasing and ... cant remember the second. One makes the edges of the objects slightly blurry so that you dont get the "stair-step affect", and the other sharpens the clarity of objects at high distances. With only one on everything looks kinda cartoony/too smooth or super sharp edges. They take a huge performance hit to your hadware (unless you have an 8800, like you will :) )

Yep, get a working computer before a big screen for it. I cant wait to hear of all the fun you'll have building. It's fun!

Bush: now i tried to record with fraps some UT and was recording at 45 fps. I dunno waht was wrong before...

Well I partially lost my pc making virginity today. Real nerve wracking. Place cpu without moving it around. Locking in cpu required alot of effort. Place cpu cooler but do not crack motherboard. Place in ram. Place in 8800gts card and sound card. Place optical drive in and cage both hard drives......

Now I have to install all the comm and power cables. I had to stop after 5 hours. Very nerve wracking for a beginner.

To any knowledgeable pc builder out there:

I have a question regarding power supply cables. Some cables have more than one connector on them. Does that mean I can connect more than one component to one cable or do I use only one connector with each cable?

Also, I had to take the cpu cooler off because I had it oriented such a way cpu fan power would not reach receptacle. I disconnected it and reconnected it so cpu cooler fan power receptacle would be reached. The thermal goop was squashed pretty good and spread out the first time. Will there be any problem with thermal goop since I moved cpu cooler it was attached to a bit?

When I run the cmos setup. Should I just keep 'standard setting" and what kind of raid should a prefer for my hard drives?

All help will be appreciated.

MaDPaT

If you use msn, I'm josh321234@hotmail.com for some real-time advice :)

-You can use any connector on your cables for powering stuff. I am using 2 rom power connectors and 1 sata all on the same cable to power my hdd and dvd burners, if that's what you mean.

-Your goop is just to fill in all the surface impurities from you HS to your cpu. It's fine if you take it off and reseat it.

-Last, if I was you I wouldnt bother with raid unless you really wanted Raid 0 (where you use both drives as one large drive). I'd just plug into 1 and 2 and use 1 as your OS drive, and the second as storage. But that's just me. If you do that, disable all the Raid options in your BIOS.

:) Once it's all up and running, you're going to be addicted to building! After working with the s939 x2, I found the 6600 hard to get in as well comparitavely. It took lots of force to clip it into place, and I was getting worried, but it's just like that. Looking forward to some updates! :)