Getting back into shape

[LaW]Maverick

Well, I'm not as out of shape as I was a while ago, but I'm still not in great shape.

My legs are solid rocks, but the stomach has a little more paunch to it than I'd like.

Anyway, I figured I'd post up here to keep track of how I'm going.

Right now I'm 6'1" and around 220lbs. (don't know my body-fat percentage, but I imagine it's somewhere around 12%..I know it's not outrageous)

I'm not supposed to bench, but I do 40lb bench-like thingies...I forget what they're called. Basically, I have a 40lb barbell in each hand, and I push up and twist them to bring them together. It's a whole heck of a lot harder than benching, and my Dr. says I can still do it (I have bad shoulders)

With the leg press (this one is inclined so it's basically like doing a hard squat) I do 450 lbs...plus the bar and assembly I'd say 480 at least...not bad, and I'm happy with that

Leg curls I'm at 160, and leg extensions are at 140

I do 21's for my biceps...those are kinda like curls, and I'm doing 75lbs there. Basically, you stand up, and using an easy-curl bar you start with your arms down and lift so that your fore-arms are parallel to the floor 7 times SLOWLY. Then you lift from fore-arms parallel to full curl position 7 more times, then you do 7 full curls....if you want your biceps in shape FAST, use this, but keep in mind, you will do less weight with these vs. regular curls...

I've been easing off my back a bit because of an old sports injury acting up

I can do a total of 60 crunches with 25lbs added in three sets of 20

I can currently only swim a pathetic 6 laps...lol (there and back)

I do more stuff, but you get the picture. I'm going to try to post up my progress as a way of keeping myself motivated. So, wish me luck! Tonight is another gym night! :wavey:

I like to use the ballence ball where you can sit on them and do crunches. It was hard at first because I wasn't used to ballencing myself. Flutter-kicks are tough, but they're really good to do...and they help out when I use the ballence ball.

(edited)

Howdy,

As you can see by my info I have been a longtime lurker but haven't posted much, I haven't been to the forums in a good while, didn't realize you guys had a workout section, I think thats awesome! (So you will probably see more of me now hehe). Even if you are unable to do regular barbell benches, you can still get nice results from the dumbell press that you are doing. You can also try using an incline and decline bench to hit different parts of your chest.

I have been working out on and off for the past year, just started a new 12 week workout plan from a Men's Health book I nabbed at the bookstore the other day. 4 days a week, 2 on, 1 rest, 2 on, its taking me just under an hour a day but its a real smoker.

Dunno if any of the old VI guys are still around like Swoop and Dweezil, if so tell em I said hi, and I will definately be popping in more now that I see you guys have a fitness forum.

Edited by Jester

(edited)

make sure u take 500mg vitamin c daily, mens health research says u can burn as much as 40% more fat during a workout.

i workout a lot when im underway(navy), basically i use this mens fitness lift book i borrowed and copied, its got like 8 or more exercises for each muscle group, and i use a stationary bike 5 or 6 days a week. I do:

day 1: chest and shoulder

day 2: off

day 3: bi's and tri's

day 4: off

day 5: back, stomach although i dont focus on stomach a lot cuz it's pretty cut already.

day 6 and 7: off

I don't do leg workouts except on arm day i do 1 calf workout. I used to do a lot of squats so my legs are pretty cut already.

anyways thats my workout.

Edited by AkUmA

My favorite is:

Use a bench press that can have a slope set on it. Use a weight (I use 25 pounds and it kicks my butt) and hug it. Do crunches. With your head on the bottom of the slope, so your fighting more gravity plus the weight. Where I go, there is no crunch machine. So I have to improvise.

And just run. For me, when I started exercising there was almost like a depression that set in. And I didn't want to work out. Even though I had the energy. My teacher told me to fight through it. I did, now I have more energy, and working out is fun.

You MIGHT hit that wall. Just fight through it and set a schedule. And set everything else aside!