Park Ranger

Jeffe

(edited)

Hello,

I have been deciding to plan my future. First topic comes to my mind is where I am going to go for college in the chicago area. My grades are just fine, and I have what I need, but should I just go for 2 years of community college to get some experience first. Then, 2 more years at a university? I have decided I want to major in becoming a park/forest ranger. There is many reasons why I have choosen such a occupation. I am a nature person, and I want to be out to the purest and most true place and preserve it.. There is many more reasons why, but I dont want to bore you, it could take days but thats just the summary. I beleive the world that has created us will one day destroy us. I just need some input on decisions and I do choose my future, but as a open minded person. I love to hear many ideas.. Thank you for reading.

It has come to my attention that I need to state that I am involved with Art for 3 years and will inclue AP Studio Art next year, and if any of you know any good professions in that field, or good coleges in Chicago. My school hasnt had a ecology, forestry, or any sciences that would state my occupation interest. Yes I have talked to my councelor but honostly I did not learn much about my decisions. its just a confusing time for me, and plus my girlfriend will probebly be far away. Its a hard time.

Edited by Jeffe

You could probly just search on the internet and/or ask your guidence counslor for information on how to become a park ranger and what schools to attend...but If you really want to be a park ranger, I'd make it a point to talk to one. Ask them what their day-to-day duties are, and what their area of expertise is. I'd immagine that their area of expertise depended upon their training and what schools they went to.

You also want to look in to how you are assigned. I can't remember exactly how that works, but if you're a forest guy, you don't want to get thrown in as a ranger in, say, The Everglades. But again, a current ranger would be a great resource for that. I'd also ask what they recommend for an education curriculum to make you the most competitive candidate possible.

Fun factoid, as related to me by a park ranger in the ENP: The U.S. Park Ranger is the most assaulted officer (per capita) in U.S. law enforcement.

Find out if there are any internships or if you are able to volunteer. Maybe on a community project involving park rangers during events. It would help out and work with you going to school. Show that you're willing to put effort into and eventually do well in your choice, especially with your career. It'll work wonders and you'll be having fun. Don't eat the poison ivy.

Fun factoid, as related to me by a park ranger in the ENP: The U.S. Park Ranger is the most assaulted officer (per capita) in U.S. law enforcement.

rofl...did you throw your beer at him at that point?

Actually, that was as he was putting on his protective vest and checking his handgun and two rifles before he took us out into the middle of the Everglades. I asked him something stupid like if we were 'gator hunting or what, and he gave me the whole deal about how rangers often end up in the middle of nowhere , heavily outmanned and outgunned. I heard a similar thing from a Great Smoky Mountain NP ranger as well, when I was helping a friend do some back-county research on birch tree stands or something similar -- Apparently we were going into pot-growing regions, and were told to always watch where we were going and not to approach anybody we might come across when we got way off-trail.

Of course, it's definitely a small population, so that kind of throws off the numbers a bit. I still went out both times. Just was a bit more careful. :)