computer stopped

Guest Navy

Guest Navy
Guest Navy
Guest Navy
Guests

Well my computer just turned off this morning. When i try to turn it back on the fans go for a second then they stop and it doesn't turn on. My roommate had the same problem like 3 days ago........very strange. Well do any of you think this is power supply related? Thanks in advance

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

yeah, power supply related or a problem with your cpu.

Ofcourse the usual unplug wait 60 seconds. Besides that try reseating the power connectors on the logic board. if that doesnt work, try reseating your RAM, cpu, pci, and agp cards. Try removing the CMOS battery to reset the bios. If all else fails, test it with someone elses power supply. :unsure:

Your roommate had the same problem on a different PC? Are you networked? Do you run virus protection? Aweful strange that two computers would have the same problem within 3 days of each other.

Guest Navy
Guest Navy
Guest Navy
Guests

Yes we are networked, and we both run norton antivirus. It seems like something weird is going on to me too, tho neither of us have gotten another power supply to try out.

to asphyxiator: I didn't understabd half of that but I idid unplug and try it again, then it starts to spark then it totally stopped working, the fans don't even start to go now.

I idid unplug and try it again, then it starts to spark then it totally stopped working, the fans don't even start to go now.

Fact #1 in Gonds computer repair book

sparks = bad

I think you blew something there. If your lucky it's the power supply and not the MB or CPU.

Coulda been a power spike that got thru your surge protectors if it happened to both computers; yours may have just taken longer to finally die. When you pick up the new power supply, pick up a new surge protector. I always go with doubling them up; one protector that covers the wall outlet with other protectors plugged into that. Dunno if it really helps, but it eases my mind. :)

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

Best thing to do is get a UPS or Uninteruptible Power Supply, there is usually a small battery that gives like 7 mins of power if the power goes out. It also applies to power spikes, the output from the thing doesn't change, even if a lot more power goes in (like a surge) and you are protected on a power outage.

I've been running a UPS for about 7 years now and I've probably had it kick in about 5 times because of power outages.

One office I worked at the boss was real cheap on computer stuff, so if there was an electrical storm we would just turn off the PCs and try to find some non-computer thing to do. lol