A little upset

So a few months ago my sister and her husband approach us with some exciting news. They were gonna have a baby. I was so happy for them and excited to be an uncle. My sister would have been the first of my siblings have a kid. So you can imagine how excited I was as the rest of my family. The first few days I lost some sleep because I couldn't stop thinking of what being an uncle would be like. Spoil your nephew/neice, teaching them stuff like music (my forte).

Anyways, I got home from work last night...or should I say early this morning (2am) only to find my brother home. I asked him where our parents were and he said they went to go see our sister......she had miscarried earlier that day.

Now I know this wasnt my kid, nor had the child even been born, but i still felt a great sense of loss. She was about 5 months into her term. So not only do I feel sorrow for her and her husband but I also feel sad because my hopes and dreams for that kid will never be realized. I hope this doesn't discourage them from trying to conceive again, I doubt it will. I just hope and pray to god it doesn't happen again. I know a lot of you guys out there are father's, uncles (and for the women...mothers and aunts). For those of you who have experienced this I know it must be hard (especially for the parents) but I'd like to see some perspectives from the aunts and uncles, how'd you feel if/when this happened to you?

I'm not an uncle, but my mom miscarried 2 times. She had me, then my three sisters, then 2 miscarriages before my two youngest brothers. I remember it only vaguely, like the emotions surrounding it but not any real memories about it. I think I was about 7 at the time (I'm only 23 now). I've wondered what my little brothers or sisters would have been like sometimes, and what it must have been like for my mom. But for me it was a long time ago, so I think of it less, but have never really asked my mom about it.

I'm so sorry to hear about that, X. When you hurt we all hurt with you. I'll be praying for you guys.

Allow me first to say I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is a sad feeling when you look forward to something then to have it taken away. Especially in a situation that involves something so close to you. The only thing that will take away what you feel right now is time.

I am in a similar situation. My sister was very sick her whole life. Almost everything that you and I may have taken for granted she had struggled with. Long story short she is now having trouble fertilizing a baby.

I think the most important thing I feel is responsibility. While it is good to be sad I think it is best for you to remain positive. Even if only for your sister. Do simple things like call her up and let her know you're there if she needs to talk. Simple gestures like letting her know you are there may not seem like much but they will be of utmost importance to her.

Hey guys

thanks for the support. I just got back from visiting my sister, I was there since thursday. Found out it was going to be a boy. My sister is doing well, she's strong and my brother in-law is also well. They're waiting to hear from the doctor what might have been the cause. The placenta needs to be analyzed to see what was going on during that time period and what may have been the cause. It doesn't look like a blood type issue since both he and her are O-.