Problems with keys getting re-mapped

Wolfsblood

One of my work computers has been re-mapping keys by itself in certain programs. It started in Macromedia Freehand where ctrl-z is supposed to be the "undo" command. (like it is in most programs) However, it seems like just about everytime you use those key combos, the computer re-maps the z, q, w, and a keys, as well as some others that I don't remember at the moment. The only way to restore the keys to the correct placements is to close the program and re-open. It has now started doing the same thing in Adobe Illustrator. I'm not certain if the same keys are being re-mapped in the same way, as I'm not the artist who's using the programs.

I've run virus scans (AVG Professional, and Trendmicro's Housecall) and found nothing, as well as Spybot S&D, and Adaware SE, also turning up nothing more than misc tracking cookies. Looking through the help files for both programs shows no way to re-map the keys within the programs, and I've not been able to replicate the results using notepad, or wordpad.

System specs: Acer Veriton Pentium D, 2 gig RAM, WinXP sp 2 fully updated.

Anyone else heard of this happening, or have any ideas how to troubleshoot this and fix it?

Try a different keyboard. I had some issues with keyboards in the past not working correctly. Also is it usb? If so, delete the drivers for it and let windows re-detect it.

Ok, I'll try some of those things. It is a usb keyboard that came with the Acer computer. Thing is, it had been working perfectly for the past 2-3 months, and then started acting up in Freehand then started in Illustrator a few days later. I also found out today that it is now happening randomly, not just when you use the crtl-z combo. Still resolves itself when you close and re-open the program though.

It doesn't sound like a malware infection to me, because it can be overcome by restarting the program, but I don't know. I've never seen this happen before.

Sounds like a software problem...

If this is a problem you can replicate easily, can you cause the problem while you're in safe mode? Have you monitored the programs running in the background to see if one of them uses processor cycles just as the problem starts?

Well, I've determined it's not related to the hardware, as it happens with both a ps2 keyboard, and a usb one.

As far as replicating the problem, I'm kinda like the car repair guy. I hear about the problem occuring (several times a day) but do not have the time to spend on the computer trying to make it happen when I'm watching. If I do, then my work doesn't get done. :/ It's also not on the computer I normally use. Found out today that it is now happening in Excel, which makes 3 programs that randomly re-map the keys. As far as I know, the keys are always re-mapped the same way.

Not sure if I'd be able to run the computer in safe mode for any length of time to try to troubleshoot it, since it is our main artwork/accounting computer at work. It could also be tricky to monitor the system to see what's going on when it switches, since I'm not there when it happens and by the time our artist would check the monitor window, the readings would likely be back to normal...

Are there any log programs that any of you know about that could collect the info so that I could have someone look at it?