Eye height off in the game

HWarrior

Eye height is off on the player models.

I always thought something was off. Some times it would feel that I should be able to jump from one level to the next without a double jump but I wouldn't make it. The reason it seemed like this is because the player model's eyes are actually above its head. :unsure: WTH?!?

To see this in action play a game against bots but don't use your mouse to navigate instead use the keyboard arrow keys to turn (this is so the up/down view doesn't change). Then type "playersonly" in the console to freeze everything but you. Then you can walk around and look at the bots. Find a bot standing on a flat surface. Stand directly in front of him. You crosshairs will be aimed above him.

ScreenShot00009.jpg

Then type "behindview" in console. You will see that you are both looking each other in the eye even though in 1st person view you are loooking above him.

ScreenShot00010.jpg

Typing "behindview" again will bring you back to 1st person. Now if you do "set utpawn baseeyeheight 30" in your console, you will see a big difference in the game. Now you are looking at each other.

ScreenShot00008.jpg

The default baseeyeheight is 38 and it seems like it should be somewhere between between 30-34. Another good way to see this is to go up on Heatray to the full armor on the roof. If you have your baseeyeheight set to 38, it looks like you should be able to single jump to get to it. But you can't. If you set it to 30 then you know you have to double jump.

Since the eye height is off like this and weapon aim is tied to it, you can be hidden behind a wall in the game and still shoot over it because of this. Really hoping they do a another demo or demo patch before full release.

In depth forum discussion about this. http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=579797