MP crashes

dragonfly

So I went to boot up cod4mp and it stops working before I even get to the menus. I made a copy of my player, saved it elsewhere, uninstalled, reinstalled (without removing config/save files), still crashes. I dont want to lose all of my work up to this point! Any ideas?

SP runs fine still, it's only MP. Worked fine 2 days ago, just started this evening. Vistax64

Ok, uninstalled again, including removing cfg files. Reinstalled, installed patch 1.4, MP crashes. ANY ideas?

I'm just going to install on my xp drive later tonight. I'm hoping the player folder is what contains my info for my rank/guns earned, etc, right?

So you did a clean install without any of your old files, and it still crashes? What about starting it in "safe" mode? Auto-detecting graphic settings?

Yeah, I tried that the first time it crashed, after my first reinstall, and after my second reinstall. No go. It gives the splash screen, goes black, then "program has stopped working, because it's stupid" message. :(

D'oh!

Ok, a few more ideas...

1. Try running in a "compatibility" mode (Windows XP, 2000, or some other o/s). You can right-click on the icon, go to properties, and choose the mode from there.

2. Try running it as an administrator.

3. Try closing all unnecessary programs

I'm going to be home in a few minutes, I'll hop on xfire and we can try a few more things.

I think I am the admin (I only use admin, I'm the only guy on the PC).

I never tried comp. mode yet, I'll try that after. I might be on later tonight. Need to finish off making a Bible study and do some Linear Algebra :)

(edited)

Ok, to update:

1. Ran as admin with and without safe mode - crash

2. Ran in compatibility mode (for winXP sp2) with and without safe - crash

3. Ran and got a sledge hammer, then ran back and put it away after realizing UT2k4 is still on the machine.

I appreciate the help Unclean.

Edited by DarkArchon

Realtek sound card? I had this problem with my machine, also Vista 64bit. I have a realtek onboad sound card but it is diabled(in the BIOS), still caused the problem though. This is a known issue. Just update to the latest drivers and all will be well again (assuming this is your issue).

Support Page

Well, I disabled my onboard sound from day 1, and I dont have realtek drivers installed, so it wasn't that for me. It was the fact that I had no sound input devices because I had disabled them all. I simply enabled one of them, and it worked perfect again.

Realtek is onboard right? You never know, maybe it works as a pass-thru for some other component on the mobo.

/me shrugs

Yeah its an onboard sound card... :)

i use onboard sound by realtek too, and i've had problems with. I must say its a bit overrated as far as being able to adjust everything in their little control panel