Liverpool

Playaa

It depends on what you call a dive.

To me a dive is falling down when there is no foul (i.e. Ronaldo) what Torres did (and does too often I will admit) is fall down too easily when a real foul happens.

The sad part for the game is that refs are now becoming used to diving and I have seen real fouls not get called because the player stayed on his feet, even though the foul completely screwed up the play.

The 2nd yellow for Materazzi was absolutely a yellow and to be honest, I'll watch Materazzi get cheated out of games every day...he's probably the dirtiest player in the entire professional ranks.

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?d...52504&hl=en

starting at 4:40 is real-time, slowmow begins at around 5

there is contact, and then no contact, and then torres speeds around matarazzi and jerks up his left foot and then falls to his knees and slides across the pitch

that's a dive to me, not just going down too easily because when he goes down, there was no contact

and materazzi may be a dirty player, but this is not the right way to punish him for it; but going down to 10 men costs the entire inter club

and as much as it pains me to say it, ronaldo has been better recently, not going down as easy and not diving

Watch that video again Undies (especially the zoomed in portion, which I wish was in slow motion but isn't)

Torres VERY CLEARLY trips over his own foot. His right foot comes forward and clips his left calf which causes him to go down. He in no way acts like it was Materazzi's fault. Sure he doesn't correct the ref but he can't really be blamed for that unless we're expecting sport stars to be incredibly honorable (and from what I've seen torres is a very honorable player).

Now if you reexamine that replay it's not very clear but it looks pretty definite that Materazzi clips Torres which is what causes his right leg to suddenly move sideways and clip his left calf (unless you think that one of the healthiest, most agile and deadly runners in the game just happens to have a moment of clumsiness and trip himself). Now, I'm about 100% positive that Materazzi didn't do it on purpose, but none of that changes the fact that he caused Torres to go down (in a roundabout way) and therefore it wasn't a dive. Whether it was a yellow is entirely up to the ref.

And you're right about Ronaldo...he has started diving less...but he still whines just as much and it's incredibly annoying.

I will say that Torres tends to go down easier than I would like sometimes...but then other times he is the hardest fighting striker I have ever seen. I have seen him win balls after being slammed into because he has heart. I mean, did you watch the Reading game in the Carling Cup? (or maybe the FA cup...can't remember) I have never seen a player take such a beating and keep fighting through it.

Sorry about such a detailed analysis...but I love Liverpool (more than I've ever loved any sports team in my life).

What do you think about this whole hullabaloo around Mascherano's red card Undies?

Personally I think that the ref was way too harsh but at the same time Masch was dumb for arguing.

I think the ref's need to realize there is a massive difference between a player questioning a decision (what Masch did) and a player disrespecting a referee (what Ashley Cole did).

Of course, you may have no idea what I'm talking about.

• 1 month later...

emo tear.

Lost to Chelsea in heartbreaking manner. 3-2 in overtime, 4-3 on aggregate. Riise's away goal really was the difference (then again so was Hyypia's clumsy tackle in the box).