Upgraded wifes computer => Heat issues

Bewildered

zd, I can't believe you just suggested to anyone that they should lap their heatsink. I mean, it's a right mentality, but it's a very difficult thing to do right and unless you have the proper tools and know-how (as well as a plethora of heatsinks you don't mind fubaring), I suggest not doing it. Typically, the heatsinks are "lapped" enough when you get them from the retailer.

Thanks to ZD I'm now going to be lapping all of my CDs so that my CD player can read them easier. Thanks ZD! :wiggle2:

zd, I can't believe you just suggested to anyone that they should lap their heatsink. I mean, it's a right mentality, but it's a very difficult thing to do right and unless you have the proper tools and know-how (as well as a plethora of heatsinks you don't mind fubaring), I suggest not doing it. Typically, the heatsinks are "lapped" enough when you get them from the retailer.

I don't think he was suggesting I lap my heatsink, just providing more insight. It does definately give more insight into why the thermal compound exists. I always thought (incorrectly) that it helps pull heat out of the CPU, when it seems like its just to fill in defects in the fit between the heatsink and the cpu. Makes sense .... heat sink is already copper, why not fill in the flaws with something thats better than air. Yay, well I imagine this will be all fixed up tonite when I remove the heatsink, clean everything up and reinstall.

gg -- Thanks guys!