Compact Flash memory

Bewildered

Help me pick some CF memory for the wifeys Canon Rebel XT. Shes got a couple 2 GB cards now, but wants something larger. How important is memory speed? I notice for speed, some companies list a multiplier, like 80X, 133X, 300X, etc. while SanDisk lists like 30 MB / s. Help?

Speed

Flash memory devices are non-volatile and solid-state, and thus are more robust than disk drives. Cards consume around 5% of the power required by small disk drives and still have reasonable transfer rates of over 30 MB/s for the more expensive 'high speed' cards.[3]

Card speed is usually specified in "x" ratings, e.g. 8x, 20x, 133x. This is same system used for CD-ROMs and gives the data rate as a multiple of the data rate of the first CD-ROMs (i.e. the data rate of an audio CD). That base rate is 150 kB/s, so for example, 20x = 20 * 150 kB/s = 3.0 MB/s. They operate at 3.3 volts or 5 volts, and can be swapped from system to system. CF cards with flash memory are able to cope with extremely rapid changes in temperature. Industrial versions of flash memory cards can operate at a range of −45 to +85 °C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash#Speed