(edited)

Ok, so I just got my new machine at work

3.0Ghz c2d

4 gig of ram

250 sata

(2) 22" Dell E2209W

ATI 2400 XT

Xp Professional SP3

The monitors max resolution is 1680x1050 and is what I want to run at. My problem is that it will not run both at the same time at 1680x1050. The best I can do is 1680x1050 on one screen and 1280x1024 on my secondary or 1280x1024 on both. I've tested and it's not the monitor, because they have both displayed 1680x1050. If I attempt to set my secondary screen at 1680x1050, It just goes into power saving mode.

Any ideas? Do you think this video card can't handle dual screens at that resolution? The video card has one DVI port on the back and came with a dongle that splits it into two DVI ports.

Edited by .fx

DVI can handle both a digital signal and an analog signal at once. I assume that this is the problem you're running into with only one output on the back and a dongle (one is taking a digital signal and the other an analog). You'll have to find a new video card to run both unless there's a driver that can allow the card to send a 1680x1050 on both the analog and digital lines on the DVI output.

(edited)

EDIT* Nevermind... I see what your saying... very interesting.. I didn't know analog could go over DVI. I may use the on board analog and see if i can get 1680x1050 off that.

Edited by .fx

(edited)

Wait a second... I should have been more clear in my original post. I have the ability to select 1680x1050 simultaneously for both screens, however the secondary screen immediately goes into power saving mode.

Edited by .fx

Wait a second... I should have been more clear in my original post. I have the ability to select 1680x1050 simultaneously for both screens, however the secondary screen immediately goes into power saving mode.

Ok well that's weird...same model of monitors? What refresh rate are you using? Can you turn power saving off on the monitor (though I figure you've tried this).