Stepping it up a notch

Well, I pulled the trigger on this the other day.

It was even cheaper when I bought it, Tuesday...$184.99 with $30 MIR.

Never used MSI before, but reviews were solid and I saw two full articles on the core 216 from EVGA that was oc'd to 624 core...This GPU is oc'd to 655 core. Basically it was running the same fps as the gtx 280 in most games up until 2560 x 1600 with the AA turned all the way up.

Pretty excited to see if this makes a difference in really demanding games like Crysis, Far Cry2, and Fallout3 versus the 2 x 8800 GT (G92) that I run now.

If my ducks are in a row, I will sell the 8800 GTs and buy a second for SLI. AnAndTech had a really good review of the new gtx 285, gtx 295, and the oc'd gtx 260...It was the gtx 260 sli setup FTW or neck in neck with the gtx 295 and 4870 x2 in a lot of their real world benches. Right good, I'd say.

We'll see.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

Sounds like a good plan Tek, A pair of those should be awesome.

I picked up the 192 version of the MSI 260 a few months a go for $175 (even had a rebate but i didn't bother with it) and have been very happy with it. Came factory overclocked and has impressive power over my old 8800GT.

I was a little skeptical about running what seems to be an off brand video card [for me at least] but I'm totally happy with it.

(edited)
Good card, i have the EVGA one though. I must tell you it gets quite warm when i play L4D. I have to crank up the fan to about 75% from the standard 40% to blow some of the heat off. Can;t imagine what 2 of those puppies could do :)

In gaming these run in the upper 70s/ lower 80s but the fans barely push over the 40% fan throttle. My take? I just leave my fan speed on default, It may be hot but everything runs stable. Besides I like the quiet.

Don't forget run Furmark in stability test burn in mode to watch your video temps skyrocket. (Has built in thermals display)

Edited by bushwack