AMD question for Homer prolly

Chief

My 2600+ is showing up as running at 1.67 Ghz instead of the 2.1Ghz.

How might I have messed this up in the BIOS? I just went it and restarted with default settings restored on the BIOS trying to sort it out, but I dunno.

Chief

You just have to go into your bios and change your FSB. I am not exactly sure of the numbers (been a while since I looked in my bios) but I think yours is probably set to 100 and it needs to be set to 133.

Did you get a 266 bus or 333mhz bus chip, the XP2600+ comes in both flavors.

If you got a 333mhz fsb chip and only have a mobo capable 266mhz you might have a problem.

If your BIOS is only set to 133, then you should have to bump it up to 166mh.

Alrighty...I put bios cpu fsb set to 166 earlier and it was fine until the end up 3dmark2001se and then it restarted. I forgot I had set it back to 133 to keep it from restarting.

I have the 2600+ 333mhz Retail from newegg

A7n8x deluxe (which is 333mhz compatible)

and Kingston pc2700 cl2.5 (which isn't listed as supported on the mobo's page).

I'm convinced it's a memory thing at this point. Boo!

Chief

That price seems way off for the RAM. You can get PC2700 for about $50 for 512 MB. I will say that Muskin puts out a quality product though. BTW, I have mushkin case badge I won at a LAN, If you want to throw it on your box, pm me and I'll send it to you.

ROosTEr,Apr 9 2003, 12:35 PM] That price seems way off for the RAM.  You can get PC2700 for about $50 for 512 MB.  I will say that Muskin puts out a quality product though.  BTW, I have mushkin case badge I won at a LAN, If you want to throw it on your box, pm me and I'll send it to you.

That'd be super awesome. I'll PM you about it, THANKS!

I just installed the memory and I'm getting 200 better on 3dmark2001se without doing anything else. Not overclocked or anything. As for the cl2.5 I learned about that after my computer wasn't working well and I started reading around. It was a great learning experience about computers and newegg.com. I had no idea that memory had as many upgrade options as videocards. WRONG! But thanks to all for all the feedback and links with helping me get her put together and runnin smooth.

Chief