Tweaking on Counter-Strike

Guest Orbital

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

Okay, first to Hendryx and Sacrificial Lamb, the thing is, you probably haven't tweaked your geforces correctly. I am on a geforce 2 ti 200. It's the highest model for the Geforce 2's, and I get a constant 100 fps, but when things are crowded, I get around 70-80, just because I can tweak my video card correctly. See, if I were both of you, I'd get RIva Tuner from this website: http://www.nvworld.ru/index_e.shtml . You can find a bunch of help topics, but I'll post a guide to using it soon enough. It's a good way to make your Geforce Card run at optimal effienciency.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, with colelge apps and all, but here are my settings for Riva Tuner:

[Oh, and one other thing, d/l the Nvidia drivers 40.72 from www.nvidia.com They were realeased about a week ago.]

I have overclocked my video card to:

254 for the Core Speed [Default is 250]

411 for Memory speed [Default 400]

You can try them out yourself, at your own risk mind you, but most cards can handle around 4-6% increase, most Geforce 4's can handle about 10%, so it's basically your own confiugartion.

For Mipmapping in the OPENGL tab, I'm at -.03, it makes everything look a little sharper.

My Vsync is ON, since I run at 1024x768 now, vsync is better for me, I do not have any image tearing [image tearing is a process in which computers without vsync on, contain image tears, where it looks like something is happening, but it actually isn't. It's a basic lag spike in lamen.] I'll explain how to fix it later on.

I'm using Block Transfer, because it's better for the Half-life Engine, it's a better type of buffering made for our simple Quake 2 baby.

Rendering Quality I put at 16 bpp [bits per pixel] because I run my desktop in 32 bit color, but in all my games, I run at 16. To run at 32 bits in games takes too much memory and processing power, for Hendryx, with a Geforce 4, you shouldn't care about this, but if you just want all the beef from your card, turn it to 16.

ANisoptirc Filtering: TUrn it to Performance Optimization

Default Degree of Anisotropy: (1) Off Default

Compatability tab: I'm at Max Acceleration for Hardware Acceleration

See, Microsoft has made the refresh rate on your computer at 60Hz for default. This is stupid, but there is a way to fix it. This means, if you turn vsync ON, you get 60 fps. If it's 100hz, you get 100 fps. COmprende?

GO to the Driver settings tab, and select the little diagonal arrow, and go to the picture where it says: 60 Hz.

Now , click the single arrow at the bottom of the window that popped up.

Now select the One Big Arrow and the one SMall arrow in the middle that are grouped together. ANd it tells you to put a minimum frequency in. Put 100, for if you go higher, CS can't handle it. SO, just put it a minimum of 60. Install it and restart your computer.

For ANti-Alasing, go to your desktop: Right-click: properties: Settings: advanced: Geforce Tab: Then go to 3D anti-aliasing: Select Manually select the anti-aliasing mode: And select either 2x, 4x or 0. and most DEFINETLEY click the "texture sharpening" box.

See, with Anti-aliasing, the problem is, it makes your computer look a lot sharper, but takes up more ram and power. What I like is 0x, because it takes up no power, and I don't notice a difference in the way it looks, since my monitor is so huge. You should try them all out for yourself, find out what setting is better for each of you.

Hendryx, custom skins do that to you, they eat away a LOT of fps, I had all these knarely custom skins, but they ate up too much of my fps, even on my great computer, so I reccomend putting everything at default, and if you want one or two guns with really cool skins, leave those. I have a REALLy awesome awp skin and a cool knife skin, everything else is default. So yeah, custom skins do that, sorry bro.

Sacrifical:

See, there is a problem with cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate.

First the default settings again are: Cl_cmdrate 20, cl_updaterate 30, rate 9999.00000.

If you get choke: Change your cl_cmdrate lower.

If you get pakcet loss: Change your updaterate.

Rate is only a variable to your cl_cmdrate and cl_updatrate.

Think of it like a ratio, so it's 20/9999 and so when you change the top number, you have to change the bottom numbers. Heh, so math DOES help in life ! :blink:

See, if you know a serve ris beefy and can handle a lot of bandwitdh, try these settings:

Cl_cmdrate 60

cl_updaterate 40

rate 20000.0000

These are just everything doubled, and can really help you game better, because if you every experience a time where you THINK you are htiting someone, but you aren't, it's probably because of choke/loss. SO these settings will help.

Also, the maximum rate for cl_cmdrate and cl_updatreate are 99, and the max for rate is 20000.000

You have to fiddle around with them yourself to get the most out of that particular server.

And another DISCLAIMER: If you tweak your CS reguaraly and change the settings constantly, you should msot definetly save EVERYTHING in your Cstrike folder and save the favser.dat [in C:|Sierra|Half-Life folder , which has the list of your favorte servers] Back it all up, and unistall Half-Life, and erase EVERYTHING in the registry that has to do with Valve, Sierra, Half-life, or hl.exe and resinatll it. You will notice a lot of stupid glitches, even if everything is at optimal settings, due to the crappy Quake 2 engine.

Now for Hurricane:

gl_ztrick Is a relativley useless command that takes up more processing power on most lower end video cards, to fill up cracks in walls when you are far away, I have it off, because I don't want it to take up any of power, I rather have just for cutting up heads

Now, I think I have settled a lot of your questions, if you have anymore FEEL FREE to post something up, I am ALWAYS glad to help anyone in need, just as long as you post on the guide saying I have helped you, and that you spread the word around. Because,e veryone deserves to be helped in cs a lil' bit. :D

And REMEBER: Do this at your OWN risk. Please do not get mad at me for something you have done on your own. I do this to help you, not to hurt you.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never let it be said that ground crews and engineers lack a

sense of humor. Here are some actual logged maintenance

complaints and problems, known as "squawks," submitted by

QUANTAS pilots and the solution recorded by maintenance

QUANTAS pilots and the solution recorded by maintenance

engineers. By the way Quantas is the only major airline that has

never had an accident.

P = The problem logged by the pilot.

S = The solution and action recorded by the engineers.

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.

S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except autoland very rough.

S: Autoland not installed on this aircraft.

P: No. 2 propeller seeping prop fluid.

S: No. 2 propeller seepage normal. Nos. 1, 3 and 4 propellers

lack normal seepage.

P: Something loose in cockpit.

S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.

S: Live bugs on backorder.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200-fpm descent.

S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.

S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.

S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.

S: That's what they're there for!

P: IFF inoperative.

S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windscreen.

S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.

S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.

S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.

S: Reprogrammed target radar with words.

P: Mouse in cockpit.

S: Cat installed.

§