Hard Drive question-RESOLVED

Laz.e.rus

Running Vista 64 till my 7 gets here:

I have 2 640 gigs from sig below. One is C: one is E:

C is showing 113 Gig used, NTFS formatting.

I dont have 113 gig on it...

Even if I manually check each folder...Im looking at about 30 gig used total, and 10 more reserved for recycle

When I pull up the properties for both C: and E: I notice that, as the only differences, I do not have indexing selected for C: and I have another tab called customize for E:

So my questions are:

Whered all my space go? Is it a windows thing? Is it because I didnt index?

Why do I have a diff tab on E?

post-1100-125650162737.jpg post-1100-125650164837.jpg

Probably System restore and shadow copies, there is also something to do with RAM depending on how much you have. If you get rid of system restore, and delete all of the backups it could be about 10gigs or more. If you have lots of RAM it has storage for the same amount put on your HD, I can't remember what for, but I have seen it before. Do a google search and you'll find it pretty quick.

yeah, but we're talking...well... 122 gigs it says when I actually have maybe 35, so around 87 missing gigs.

http://windirstat.info/

download/install/run this app.

if you don't want to install it, and just use this portable version, does the same thing, but can run on usb drives.

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/windirstat_portable

It's a GUI for what files you have on your drives.

Each file type is a different color.

The larger the file, the larger the block is.

Click it for info on the file and location.

GL!

87 gigs in System Volume Information files eh? Sounds a little nuts.

Hm. Can't view the files in Explorer atm. Gotta figure our how to change that (Win 7 newbie)

Only 12 gig is in Windows, I figured that was using it.

Anyone have any idea what that is? 87 gigs in Sys Vol Info I mean.

(edited)

87 gigs in System Volume Information files eh? Sounds a little nuts.

Hm. Can't view the files in Explorer atm. Gotta figure our how to change that (Win 7 newbie)

Only 12 gig is in Windows, I figured that was using it.

Anyone have any idea what that is? 87 gigs in Sys Vol Info I mean.

How'd that program workout for you?

Those files are virtual hard disks for restore points. Of course, most software installations will create one before it installs. So you can gather up a decent amount of restore points quickly.

Option 1: (read both b4 trying)

They are probably hidden directories/files. Know how to view hidden files under the Folder Options?

If you can view the files, but cannot delete/modify them,

You don't have access rights, as the currently logged on user.

Option 2:

Another way to possible delete the files (not manually) would be in the Disk Cleanup Utility.

Not exactly sure in Win7 (not at home), but in Vista, there is a 2nd tab called More Options

Towards the bottom is an area called System Restore and Shadow Copies.

Click the Clean up button and that will delete all but your most current restore point.

Complete your normal Disk Cleanup process and hope that cleans them up for you.

Edited by ZesteR

*** RESOLVED***

Well, that program is what showed me the System Volume Information and where I got the info I posted above.

Using that info from that program, I posted at Evga. From there I discovered that it is in fact system restore. It had 87 gigs reserved :)

Thanks!!

*** RESOLVED***

Well, that program is what showed me the System Volume Information and where I got the info I posted above.

Using that info from that program, I posted at Evga. From there I discovered that it is in fact system restore. It had 87 gigs reserved :)

Thanks!!

Glad to help. I think ? lol

You could have just read my post....

We are totally unappreciated!

Laz can go to his stupid EVGA forums from now one!

:(

Heh...I read Norgs, then forgot that I had read it. I believe alcohol ( a lot! ) was involved in that event. I was wondering what you were talking about, so I scrolled up and as soon as I saw it, I remembered it :)

Thanks!!

And Zester, I got the info I needed from that program you linked me, as I posted above, so thanks for that too!

:)