ARMA 2 would you play it?

[VOA] Vinas

So I'm addicted to ARMA 2... For those that don't know what it is, it is considered a "milsim". Game play is real slow compared to other FPS games, but more controlled in a realistic manner. For instance, vehicles drivers and pilots all required to be in their own TS or vent channel, etc.

It's a blast so that's why I'm posting this... ever since CAL died I haven't really played CSS. That and CAL IM was more of a full time job than fun.

so who would play? Could someone add a poll to this thread?

• 1 month later...

Kinda dead around here or what?

If any of you want to play on a quality server then checkout the sparta servers. Add a fliter called "sparta" then join the domination server. Pretty good fun with 40 players working cooperatively.

I was hoping some of the GC folks would be in to realistic simulators. <_<

Maybe you could shed some light on how multi-player works. One question that come to my mind is: How realistic is it? 2-shots and you're dead kinda thing? If so, do you respawn immediately or after the round is over? Basically, is dying frustrating?

Maybe you could shed some light on how multi-player works. One question that come to my mind is: How realistic is it? 2-shots and you're dead kinda thing? If so, do you respawn immediately or after the round is over? Basically, is dying frustrating?

The multiplayer is very functional, so much that I haven't even played the single player. As to your question -- yes about two hits and you're down for 60 seconds or so. Because of this the game play is pretty slow, but also deliberate. There is definitely a learning curve to this kind of game because of its vastness. The only real complaint I have about Arma2, is that it's a bit buggy at times. There are so many facets to this game that it more than makes up for it in variety and realism though.

So yes, dieing is a little frustrating. If you have a good team though, the medic will be right with you so he'll revive you straight away. After 60 seconds is up at that point you can respawn at base. You also start off with a number of instant spawns (like 3 I think) so that you wouldn't have to wait for someone to revive you. Once you respawn at base you could paradrop or catch a knighthawk ride over to the main AO. Usually the pilots are pretty consistant with inserting soldiers to the AO and back.

All in all I'd encourage everyone to at least take a look. This is like battlefeild, but more realistic and much, much more immersible with the different soldiers, weapons, vehicles, and expansions. It's a total sandbox so walking or running is just like RL as in it takes forever just to go a few hundred meters. This makes the vehicles so much more rewarding! :-)

Edited by [VOA] Vinas

• 1 month later...

Downloaded it played a bit, realized I need a major upgrade to play this game. What I found very cool is the flight controls on the helicopters are like a helicopter simulator (not like battlefield). I was able to get a profile for my Logitech G940 flight controls and flew around a bit, but my 5fps makes it unbearable.