Valve June 2010 CSS Update FAQ

Flitterkill

CSS Update FAQ (June 23, 2010)

* What's new in the update?

This update includes the upgrading of the game to the Orange Box engine.

This engine upgrade introduces a whole host of fixes and improvements, such as hugely improved netcode and hit registration and multi-core rendering support. This is the same engine that TF2 and DOD:S are currently running on (Source 2009).

The primary reason for the port (other than being a previously promised upgrade), is to bring the game to Mac systems.

In addition to the engine upgrade, Valve has also included several multiplayer features: such as achievements (145), player stats, cinematic death camera shots (or freezecams), new scoreboard with Steam avatars, and a new MVP win panel at the end of the match.

* How large is the update?

It fairly depends. I already had CS:S previously my update was the size of ~700MB. If you've purchased other source engine games (HL2, TF2, DOD:S) and don't yet have CS:S, then your download would be larger (~1.6 GB, according to steam on my Mac). Otherwise, you're download can be much larger.

* I hate [this feature]. Can it be removed? Can I disable it?

▪ Cinematic death camera shots (or deathcams, killcams): you can. Client-side, go to Options > Multiplayer > Advanced and uncheck it. Server-side, you can use the command sv_disablefreezecam 1.

▪ Dominations & revenges: using the command sv_nonemesis 1 server-side.

▪ MVP panel & stars: using the command sv_nomvp 1 server-side.

▪ Stats with Steam: using the command sv_nostats 1 server-side. This also disables the ability to earn achievements.

* What is the dominations and revenge system

▪ Whenever you kill someone 4 times or more in a single map, you are considered dominating the person.

▪ Whenever you get killed 4 times or more in a single map by the same person, they are dominating you.

▪ Whenever a player that is being dominated kills the dominating player, a broken chain link appears in the death notice, indicating a revenge.

▪ Icons for domination, and revenge appear multiple times, on death notices, in the scoreboard, and on deathcams.

* The score board is different, can we revert to the old style?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: There is no option to revert the scoreboard back to the previous settings, but there is a manual way you can get the old scoreboard back. It involves using the old files and creating a custom scoreboard. (I will not delve into this any further as it is out of the scope of this FAQ.

* The new scoreboard has lots of information! I don't even understand half of them!!

You'll get used to the scoreboard once you acquaint yourself with it's features.

▪ On the top you'll find the map name, server name, whether stats are enabled or disabled, and the timeleft for the map.

▪ The two big numbers off-centered in the bored refer to the score for each team.

▪ Below the team names are the amount of people alive out of the full compliment in each team.

▪ Then follows the list of players on each team.

▪ Stars next to people's names showing that they received an MVP Award (last kill of the round or winning action like defusing the bomb, or rescuing hostages, or the planter of the bomb if it's detonated.)

▪ The number on the lower right corner of the stars shows how many MVP Awards a player has recieved.

▪ There are two red icons that can appear next to the location of the stars (never both on the same player).

- A devil icon shows that this person is dominating you.

- A person with a target around the head shows that you are dominating the person.

▪ A skull is a dead player, this is also indicated by greying out the players name. (The skull will overlap the domination indicators, you'll still be able to tell the difference between dominator and dominated.)

* Why was [this feature] removed? Bring it back, Valve!

No game play feature have been removed/altered. The few things that have been altered are as follows:

▪ Names: they are now synced with your Steam name, as per all of Valve's other games. To change your name in game simply press SHIFT+TAB then click on the arrow next to your name in the friends window, then click Change Profile Name.

* Will DirectX 7 and DirectX 8 be supported by the new engine?

DirectX 7 will not. DirectX 8 will still retain support.

If your hardware is not capable of using DirectX 8 or higher, or performs poorly with DirectX 8, then it is recommended that you take this as a cue to upgrade your hardware.

* Will current custom models, skins and maps work with the new engine?

▪ Custom maps do work with the new update.

▪ Custom skins and models will have to be recompiled for the OrangeBox, but other than that, they should work fine.

* Will I be able to use or play my demos on the new engine?

or My demos no longer work after the update, what happened?

No. Demos taken on older versions of the engine won't run on the new engine.

* Why is the server limited to 66 tickrate? or

My server no longer runs on 100 tickrate, What gives?!

HPE and Valve have limited CS:S to 66 tickrate, and removed the '-tickrate' argument for srcds. They would like to provide consistent gameplay for all users, since different tickrates will affect rate of fire, recoil, and physics.

* What will happen to CS:S Beta?

CS:S Beta will update itself, and be removed from your Library list. In my computer, the CS:S Beta folder still exists.

* Server Too Busy, or Game currently not available.

If you are getting Servers too busy, please be patient. This update is being rolled out to users worldwide, in addition to the many new users who will purchase the game with the sale today.

SRCDS Update FAQ (June 23, 2010)

* What is the command to update the server?

It is the same as the previous CS:S command:

Windows

Code:

hldsupdatetool -command update -game "Counter-Strike Source" -dir

Linux

Code:

./hldsupdatetool.bin

./steam

then

./steam -command update -game "Counter-Strike Source" -dir .

* Will I loose all my settings?

Unfortunately the update will install on a folder different than your current. There will be a folder called "orangebox". Inside you'll see the familiar folder structure and files for srcds server. So you might just need to copy all your configurations from the old folder to the new folder.

* Can I still use my old plugins?

No. you'll need to get an updated plugin from the developer of the plugin to get it to work on the orange box engine. Many have already released it while the beta was on-going.

bind "/" "buy awp"

bind "." "buy ak47; buy m4a1; buy vesthelm"

bind "'" "buy deagle"

bind ";" "buy usp"

bind "i" "buy vest"

bind "o" "buy vesthelm"

bind "p" "buy flashbang"

bind "[" "buy hegrenade"

bind "]" "buy smokegrenade"

bind "\" "buy defuser"