Quick Opinions (PSU related)

OK, so I'm fixing this guy's computer and I'm fairly certain I have the problem figured out, but I figure some quick opinions here to back my own findings up would be helpful. So here's a run-down:

-Computer was crashing when playing high-end games such as Crysis (this thing can handle Crysis at Ultra High across the board)

-Memtest was successful...basically, all hardware tests (I think a total of at least 10 were run multiple times) said everything was fine

-I got it last night and loaded up Crysis with no sound, the computer never crashed, but the PSU was making a warbling noise that sounded none-too-good

So, what I'm thinking is that, at peak load, the PSU if getting over-burdened and causing instability in the system...especially after hearing the sound that thing was making...PSUs should not make squealing clicking noises when the load is cranked. It didn't crash at my house, but that could be something as simple as cleaner power at my place. He is at the limit of what that power supply can dole out. Here are some quick-specs:

-Socket 1366 i7-940 (2.93ghz)

-ASUS P6X58D - Premium board

-BluRay Drive

-6 GB of DDR3 OCZ RAM

-WiFi PCI-E board

-ATI Radeon HD 5870

-some assorted peripherals

-OCZ Vertex II SSD (flash based) at 30GB

-Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 320 GB drive

Basically, when I put his system in a PSU calculator, they suggested a minimum of 620w (with everything plugged in). He has an OCZ 650w supply in there (it is 80 plus) right now. I generally like to keep a 200w buffer, and thus would suggest an 850w supply to replace it.

When the computer crashes, it generally blue-screens out according to him, though I couldn't reproduce the problem. Well, some PSU calculators say around 550w.

My first inclination was heat, since it would just shut off on him sometimes (and he said that there would be artifacts on the screen from time to time). However, I was monitoring the heat via HW Monitor, and it topped out at 55C during 45 minutes of Crysis, which is kinda hot, but shouldn't wreck the system. Most of the time while playing Crysis, it was around 45C. The GPU heat was also within tolerable levels.

The PSU, RAM, GPU, and I think the processor have all been RMAed, the problem hasn't changed. I suppose it COULD be something with the motherboard, but since the PSU was making that crazy noise (it wasn't loud, just strange), which sounded strained to me, I'm leaning toward that route. I'm fairly certain (now) that it's not heat.

I'm also thinking it might be drive conflict of some sort of drive conflict as it never crashes when he's accessing stuff from the C: drive (the SSD), but only when he's playing games stored on the Seagate. That would be strange indeed.

(edited)

Well heat and clean power are always good to keep in mind. My suggestion would be to pop in a good PSU like this one.

Then just to be sure no problems are developed from heat, I would upgrade the stock HS/Fan to something like this one. (I know sweet price)

Also put in good quality fans. Many times stock fans that come on a case (even a good case) are sucky. I use these in my system.

Also make sure to use high quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5 or nanotherm PCM+ (if you can find it)

Edited by Preacher

Naw, I'm sure it's not heat, Preach. He has a pretty nice Artic Cooling heat sink, on top of that he has an Antec P183 case (the stainless looking version) with good Antec 120mm fans throughout.

I put my 850w PSU in there, and everything ran smooth as silk--no crazy chirping noise like before, and no crashes. I'm fairly sure that cures it.