Plugin ideas

crasx

Hey y'all

A lot of you know me, I recently joined gcftw and play on the l4d2 server.

I have talked to jackiechan now and then about developing for the server as I am a pretty good programmer... and I would like to share some ideas about plugins and fixes for l4d2 I have.

Also i will include links to plugins that exist but I think should be added. Not sure if they are already added

• Team Info
    • I already started this. Essentially it gets around l4d2's 4 player issue in game info. It would allow you to type !teams and scroll through your team, enemy team and spectators

[*]Fix the spectator slot reservation

[*]A word filter

• ie chat. so "oh my this is so lame" would turn into "oh my this is so lame"

[*] Votekick similar to the teaminfo plugin-- linky

If you guys have any ideas I would love to hear them and maybe develop them.

Let me know what you think

Good ideas but I'm confused on a couple of them.

"Fix the spectator slot reservation"

How does it need fixed? It's designed to allow members to stay in spectator without the fear of being kicked for being AFK, and also to kick nonmembers trying to take up spec slots so that members can freely join the server when its 20/20. It's the closest thing we can get to a "reserve" spot, since it isn't like CS:S where it will boot a nonmember when a GC member joins.

"Votekick similar to the teaminfo plugin"

I'm assuming this makes it so that everyone in the server, including those on the other team can !votekick a person? Or is it just for your team, in which case it only adds the convenience of not having to Esc out to the menu to start a votekick for someone on your team?

Word filter

"oh my this is so lame" would turn into "oh my this is so lame"

I'm assuming you just typed incorrectly since those are the same phrase :P Should be "oh my this is so stupid" would turn into "oh my this is so lame", substitute stupid with any more harsh word. I would here but our forums already have a word filter hehe

Oh and I like the team info idea. Admins actually already have this ability to view each team and the members on each through the admin menu, but maybe letting everyone be able to isn't a bad idea.

Edited by samurai nightling

GC Alumni

"Fix the spectator slot reservation"

As it currently is there are 22 open slots so 2 people can join as spectators if they are members. I will look into a way to have it show as 20 slots then if a member joins a full game it increases to 21 or something. Maybe this isnt possible but I think I saw something similar to this.

"Votekick similar to the teaminfo plugin"

Unless I'm mistaken you can only kick the 4 mains. This would allow you to kick all 10 players

Word filter

"oh my this is so lame" would turn into "oh my this is so lame"

Ha I think the forum filter changed it... I put the g word =]

Plugins can hide slots, but the downside is that I believe clients who want to join into the hidden slots need to join from HLSW, otherwise their client will read the server as full and will not try to join. This may have changed.

I expect there are several word filters out there right now. It might be worth looking at what there is right now to see if there's anything that's just right, or if there's nothing that works quite right, to see what exactly would be needed to make a perfect one. This is one that I bookmarked at some point recently linked from someone somewhere.

I haven't looked hard for it, but an Orangebox-working version of LDuke's Chron (or the same functionality) would be at the top of my wish list and probably some others'. Of course writing a SMM plugin rather than SM is an entirely different undertaking, and presumably there is already something like this in SM.

Ok i see what you mean. If you can find a way to make it show 20/20 but still allow people to join that are members and either have it increase the number or kick a nonmember then by all means go for it. I hope it can be done.

I also haven't tried to kick many people through the menu so i never noticed if u can only kick the 4 mains. I'll have to check it out sometime, but i see why you would want this now too.

Word filter, needed badly. At least for racist words and the few explicit words we don't want to allow. It's hard to tell people you can say the small cuss words in game though that the characters say themselves throughout game-play.