Dog lovers

samurai nightling

Ok, so i had a crazy idea after watching this music video. I wanted to make a topic completely about dogs for those of you who have a dog or love dogs like they are your own children as i do.

I freaking love dogs and this video was awesome. Not to mention im a fan of dance type music which helped a bit also.

Now I invite anyone to post anything that is awesome or cute or whatever about dogs. And if this topic dies here, well at least i got some people to read/watch it :P

cutie little baby sweety snookums!

Dont know if your makin fun of me or think shes as cute as i do haha. Either way, shes the best dog ive had, except for tearing up my carpet in places lol.

lawlz, no i love dogs, used to give up my weekends to walk them at the shelter

(edited)

Is owning a pet a huge responsibility? I ask because my local pet store is holding an adoption event. I just learned that animals without shelter are usually killed :o And seeing how cute the kittens and puppies were left me feeling down the whole day.

Edit: Never owned a pet before, not even a fish or bird

Edited by lousiest

I know this looks long, but if you really are thinking of a pet then i hope it helps and its worth reading.

Yeah any pet is a lot of responsibility. Dogs more so than cats in my opinion. Dogs require you to be there to let them outside, walk them, play with them, feed them. They are more dependent on you to take care of them. You can't just leave a dog in your house for more than like 8 hours cuz theyre gonna have to go to the bathroom and be fed and if you arent there, they will start going to the bathroom all over your house or chewing on things cuz they get bored to death. Puppy potty training is a huge thing to if you get a puppy. It takes patience, perseverance, and alot alot of effort to potty train a puppy correctly. I screwed up with my dog last year and took me nearly twice to 3 times as long to get her fully house trained because i used puppy pads in t he house as opposed to just taking her outside when she started going and rewarding her for going outside. Won't make that mistake again.

Cats just go to the bathroom in a litter box and every couple days you clean it up. You can also get a food/water dispenser and cats wont just eat up all their food right away like a dog usually does so they can have a lot of food for a long time without you adding more. I feel bad leaving my dog alone overnight so i rarely if ever do, but with a cat, as long as you know there's still food and water for them, they don't need to be let outside to go to the bathroom or anything so i wouldn't feel so bad if i left a cat for a day. Don't get me wrong though, cats still need you to be there to care for them and play with them and change their litterbox etc. They have their own set of needs.

And not to mention vet bills for shots, vaccinations, medications etc etc. Tags for registration, yadda yadda.

I don't have much experience with "exotic" pets like birds, lizards, snakes etc. I can only assume though that they take somewhat less responsibility than that of a dog or cat, but still require a lot of "specialized" care for their animal type to keep them alive and healthy.

Fish aren't too bad. You set up a tank properly, which only requires some basic research on the web, put them in, keep the filter running, feed them like once a day, and they're good to go. Just make sure to clean the tank out on a regular schedule (not sure how often, its been years since i even had a goldfish) to keep bacteria and algae growth down so the fish stay healthy. Algae eaters also help with this problem and keep the tank cleaner than without one.

So the answer is yes, any animal is a lot more responsibility, but i feel dogs require you to physically care for them slightly more than a cat would. However i would never trade my dog for anything, i love having her around and she makes me alot more happy then without a dog. And of course the larger the dog, the more expensive they become to take care of.

Best thing i can say if you have never owned any pet before and are even thinking of it, research what exactly it will entail to own whatever pet you want. Buy a petcare book for dummies or something, or just search online or ask a local vet on what you'll need and what needs to be done to care for the pet. They'll be more than happy to help or at least point you in the direction of where to find the answers.

Awesome dude. Very informative :) I think cats would suit my lifestyle more as I'm often at the office for long hours

I just came back from the pet store again. Bought a Dummies book for dogs, cats and kittens (weird that they have both separate). Gonna do lotsa research now :)

Thanks again Sammy!

haha thats great. Owning a pet can bring so much joy to a persons life. It can also bring frustration and anger sometimes too lol. I'm glad you're thinking of adopting a pet. I wish all animals could find loving homes. Good luck with the researching and i hope you find everything you are looking for, including the right pet for you!