I say NAY NAY!

chick82

Okay, I have to admit I was a bit bad last night. Its 2am and we got a 10/20 server. First things were great 5/5 so we each had 5 bots no biggie. Well we are in Sacrifice map one, and spot them at the tank, then we go, now it becomes a 2/8, so me and 2 others switch over to make it fair and we die at tank cool. Next map we are losing, and team is 4/6 so its nice and balanced we stop them pretty close in, but then its an 8/4 okay, same people switching back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, so here's where i did something bad, and I apologize, I for one am against rushing, but man just switch switch switch, so I said you know what you want to be on a winning team keep up, and i rushed(shame on me).

So FIRST!

I want to apologize for rushing, I shouldn't of but man I was annoyed.

Secondly,

I really wish there was a way to make it so people couldn't switch, switch, switch, switch, switch, etc. I mean if you are losing boohoo, if you are winning yay you, but man this flip-flop, tic-toc, i got have a win or I'm leaving to the better team, is annoying.

hahahaha :D

l4d2 is a really frustrating game and I don't think any of the admins would ban you for rushing in this case (at least I wouldn't). Especially if others in the game have a bad attitude or w/e

I too wish there was an anti-stack system and would be happy to code one but in the end its up to jackie... we've had many discussions on this and I think the verdict was that people want to play with friends and blah blah. so really if you want to make it as fair as possible while keeping the fun element you need to be a leader. This simply means 1. make friends with players so they respect you and 2. when it is unbalanced talk to your friends so they can switch also to even things out

also the more friends you have on at a given time the less frustration. Because you could be getting your butt kicked but if you have people to laugh about it with it doesn't really matter

also feel free to chat with an admin if they are on and s/he can come in and try to even things out

I definitely agree about the team stacking problem. However, as crasx mentions, regulars seem to always want to play with other regulars thus the team switching (and sometime stacking). Normally this is fine as the scramble usually places regulars evenly across the teams so both have at least a few experienced players who communicate and know what they're doing. It's when the scramble puts the majority of the regulars on one team and leaves only a few to deal with the rest of the pubbers that the overall campaign is "ruined." And I say ruined in a sense that most of the time those on the losing team alongside the subsequent regulars will stack up on the winning team simply because of the people on it. I myself am guilty of this numerous times but I try as much as I can to balance out teams if all possible. But I've had many times where I've joined the losing team to balance it out only to have new regulars join up on the other team.

Because of this, I purpose the suggestion of using the new level system as a way to scramble the teams. I know level/rank/playtime does not equivocate to skill but is a good place to start nonetheless. If scramble places regulars based on level the chances of evenly balanced teams is much more likely and would greatly decrease the issue of stacking. Playing and having a good time with people you know is awesome but two strong, equally balanced teams that work together makes the play experience infinitely better. I think the concept should be at least tried in some form or another to better the initial campaign scramble.

I definitely agree about the team stacking problem. However, as crasx mentions, regulars seem to always want to play with other regulars thus the team switching (and sometime stacking). Normally this is fine as the scramble usually places regulars evenly across the teams so both have at least a few experienced players who communicate and know what they're doing. It's when the scramble puts the majority of the regulars on one team and leaves only a few to deal with the rest of the pubbers that the overall campaign is "ruined." And I say ruined in a sense that most of the time those on the losing team alongside the subsequent regulars will stack up on the winning team simply because of the people on it. I myself am guilty of this numerous times but I try as much as I can to balance out teams if all possible. But I've had many times where I've joined the losing team to balance it out only to have new regulars join up on the other team.

Because of this, I purpose the suggestion of using the new level system as a way to scramble the teams. I know level/rank/playtime does not equivocate to skill but is a good place to start nonetheless. If scramble places regulars based on level the chances of evenly balanced teams is much more likely and would greatly decrease the issue of stacking. Playing and having a good time with people you know is awesome but two strong, equally balanced teams that work together makes the play experience infinitely better. I think the concept should be at least tried in some form or another to better the initial campaign scramble.

I'm not sure if the ranking would really help. Rank can be gained by a bunch of time. Heck I think i'm around 5 or 6 atm on the server. My points and stuff are higher now, but the first like 100+ hours or so was literally my first time playing an fps, so i was crappy on kills but high on damage from spitter-especially since i hogged a bit on the first few hours(tanks cost 40 then). Either way, I think a better way for team balance would be one of the Rank stats. basically. ppm. The points per minute or w/e. Or maybe even SI kills average. Though some people get all the kills with the sniper since it's pretty much a 1 hit kill.

Ok...stupid question...when I'm in game, how do I see the team balance. When I tab, all I see is 4 or 5 names per team, but I know that there are more peeps on than that. Tonight was my first time on the server. I mostly had a great time. I had one guy griefing at me for rushing ahead...but I had a witch chasing me...I popped adrenaline and made it to the safe room. Overall though, it was nice to play without the constant irritating hackasses.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Ok...stupid question...when I'm in game, how do I see the team balance. When I tab, all I see is 4 or 5 names per team, but I know that there are more peeps on than that. Tonight was my first time on the server. I mostly had a great time. I had one guy griefing at me for rushing ahead...but I had a witch chasing me...I popped adrenaline and made it to the safe room. Overall though, it was nice to play without the constant irritating hackasses.

you should prolly start a new topic about this.

However I think this is an admin only thing... I did write a plugin for this but I don't think It was ever put on the server

edit: also no reason to insult people. That whs why I muted you, to calm down..

Edited by crasx

you should prolly start a new topic about this.

However I think this is an admin only thing... I did write a plugin for this but I don't think It was ever put on the server

edit: also no reason to insult people. That whs why I muted you, to calm down..

I didn't even know you muted me, but I stopped talking anyway. Did you mute the guy that swore at me and told me to get back too?

I don't know what you call an insult, but me telling him he didn't have an argument, and that he couldn't just admit it, which is what I said, didn't feel like an insult to me. Whatever.

I didn't even know you muted me, but I stopped talking anyway. Did you mute the guy that swore at me and told me to get back too?

Yes

I don't know what you call an insult, but me telling him he didn't have an argument, and that he couldn't just admit it, which is what I said, didn't feel like an insult to me. Whatever.

I consider this an insult:

Overall though, it was nice to play without the constant irritating hackasses.

Maybe I misread that as its not fun to play with hackasses... my bad

Okay, I have to admit I was a bit bad last night. Its 2am and we got a 10/20 server. First things were great 5/5 so we each had 5 bots no biggie. Well we are in Sacrifice map one, and spot them at the tank, then we go, now it becomes a 2/8, so me and 2 others switch over to make it fair and we die at tank cool. Next map we are losing, and team is 4/6 so its nice and balanced we stop them pretty close in, but then its an 8/4 okay, same people switching back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, so here's where i did something bad, and I apologize, I for one am against rushing, but man just switch switch switch, so I said you know what you want to be on a winning team keep up, and i rushed(shame on me).

So FIRST!

I want to apologize for rushing, I shouldn't of but man I was annoyed.

Secondly,

I really wish there was a way to make it so people couldn't switch, switch, switch, switch, switch, etc. I mean if you are losing boohoo, if you are winning yay you, but man this flip-flop, tic-toc, i got have a win or I'm leaving to the better team, is annoying.

DIdnt know you made a post about that night. Yes it was frustrating that they kept switching back and fourth. I kinda dislike the mind set of "I need to win to have fun" or having that as an excuse to switch. Personally I like even teams (as in number wise not skill wise. It's 10v10 with a buy plug-in for goodness sake.), I have no idea if this will be easy to code or not (I assume so), since the !survivors and !infected seem to work if there is an open slot (Or makes you wait till there is one) it could be made limited per campaign (Freebie for spectator slot). or if it checks in how many people in the server. Like if its 10 total in the server, it would make !survivors and !infected limited in switching. The only problem is that it could have major bugs/glitches, especially when its near full or people in the Spectator slot or got moved to it.

Maybe someone already made a plugin for larger server to not promote stacking, could just tweak that.