Silly but, where are the rules?

maestro4202

I came to L4D section expecting a sticky on the rules, but I don't see one. I thought maybe when you join a server the MOTD screen would list them, or how to access them. I asked someone on the server how to view the rules and he said type !rules. Nothing was displayed. After telling him it didn't work he said, "How about this?" and proceeded to run a votekick on me. Could someone please direct me the L4D server rules? I know, they are right here somewhere but apparently I'm blind. Thanks.

Edited by maestro4202

(edited)

Well I didn't want to point fingers but I will if I must. I'm just trying to get them memorized so I stop having incidents like these cuz I love the servers and just wanna enjoy them without the shadow of a votekick box hanging over me. Thanks again for giving those links I'll go read up on it asap.

I don't see changing to spectator when you die listed there. This incident started when I changed to spec after dying and the guy I was asking for help said "kick maestro" and I had absolutely no idea why. He said it was against the rules to change to spectator when you die. I have NO problem with that I just never read it!

Edited by maestro4202

I believe I was in the server one time and kicked you for rushing ahead. 6 members of your team were getting constantly smoked off that path in no mercy (first level inside the hospital). They were screaming for the other 4 to come help but the 4 (maybe 3) of you were just waiting for the elevator.

this was e5.maestro, not sure if thats you?

Glad you wanna learn the rules though, and welcome =]

no hate.

(edited)

I believe I was in the server one time and kicked you for rushing ahead. 6 members of your team were getting constantly smoked off that path in no mercy (first level inside the hospital). They were screaming for the other 4 to come help but the 4 (maybe 3) of you were just waiting for the elevator.

this was e5.maestro, not sure if thats you?

Glad you wanna learn the rules though, and welcome =]

no hate.

About that - that was just probably bad thinking by me, when I last looked, everyone was clear of Smoker Lobby and headed to the elevator. They seemed coordinated and catching up I guess I just didn't realize that was actually the main group but by then two tanks were smashing me into the ground while those other 2 guys went running back for the group, realizing by then we were splintering off. I was also trying to follow some guy I was basically shadowing him assuming he would stay with the main group. That's what you get for trusting some other guy I guess. lol :(

Edited by maestro4202

(edited)

One more thing - about the guy I asked for help, apparently you're not supposed to change to spec within +/- 1 second of the moment of death, even if your just bleeding out and there's no chance of rescue. That's the rule that he got on me about then I asked for help and you know the rest. I never followed any pattern of changing to spectators, I would just change when I died sometimes. I don't see anything specific about that rule in the rules, but I'll just follow it to be sure now. No changing to spectators until ten seconds or so has passed after you die. Feel free to elaborate if you like though since my conversation with that guy wasn't exactly detailed.

Edited by maestro4202

We don't have any rules on teamswitching however you normally shouldn't switch to spec after dying.

In the server it is 10v10, after one team goes through a map the infected and survivors are swapped then the map is gone through again (same players, just reversed roles). There is really no reason to switch to spectate and people may get aggravated about you constantly switching and votekick.

Were you changing to spectate to join the other team, or to stay there, or to join back? Typically if the server is really busy, someone will steal your spot if you go spectate, or will yell at you because you're trying to join the winning team after you die or something. People will notice if someone constantly switches teams and either votekick you or comment on it. Team stacking is a huge problem in a game like this and people hate it to no end.

(edited)

No as I was saying I wasn't changing teams or anything... I HATE stacked teams and lopsided games, biggest problem with servers still. I never change teams, I care about having fun not winning thus have no motive to change teams in L4D games. I never even change to spectators. I don't think changing to spectator one time in like 2-12 months qualifies as 'constantly', but I realize you were just giving examples - not implying blame. There's a saying that really relates to why telling a player what they did wrong is better then raging vote spasms.. it's like cook for a guy and he eats for a day.. teach a guy to cook and he eats for a lifetime.

It's just frustrating when all you try to do is your best to be a honest, helpful and fun player on a server and people immidiatly come at you all accusatory, spamming votekicks, refusing to listen to anything you say and so on and so on.. accusations fly around faster in L4D I guess it's the nature of a game fast paced and tempers fly.. You have to read or hear something to know it. It's not gonna just appear in you head.. that's why I'm hunting down every rule. Thanks again for filling me in on all that info.

Edited by maestro4202

Ah ok sorry. I just got the impression that they did it cuz u were constantly doing it, didn't realize it was like a once occurrence thing. There is no rule though on going spectate after u die, i mean, some members do it if theyre gonna be afk but still want to be in the server and give a spot to someone who could use it. Like i said though, non members do get kicked at 30 secs. Glad you like the server though, and a simplistic summary of our rules in general is:

No swearing, no racism, treat others nicely, and enjoy playing and have fun. Basically the don't be a Dbag rule and we will end up liking you :P We like quality people and that shows in how the act in games.

So please feel free to also poke around other sections of our forums and even any other games we host, we always like people who actually have something to say and participate!

Ah ok sorry. I just got the impression that they did it cuz u were constantly doing it, didn't realize it was like a once occurrence thing. There is no rule though on going spectate after u die, i mean, some members do it if theyre gonna be afk but still want to be in the server and give a spot to someone who could use it. Like i said though, non members do get kicked at 30 secs. Glad you like the server though, and a simplistic summary of our rules in general is:

No swearing, no racism, treat others nicely, and enjoy playing and have fun. Basically the don't be a Dbag rule and we will end up liking you :P We like quality people and that shows in how the act in games.

So please feel free to also poke around other sections of our forums and even any other games we host, we always like people who actually have something to say and participate!

Cool now that you mention it I've been looking for some new MC servers. And yeah, that's why I actually have played a long time on the ftw servers because of those qualities you mention.