My first thoughts about CSGO

JackieChan

GC Alumni

I'm definitely not buying this game on release. It's just way too unfinished. It's trying it's hardest to be a CS game, but at the same time, it's also trying it's hardest NOT to be a CS game. I honestly feel this game is going to be a fail on launch with a high peak of players in the first month, then dip down to what L4D2 sees which yesterday didn't even reach 10k peak players.

Hey Valve, how about you try not to butcher CS and make a a CS game which is a modernized version of 1.6? Proper hit detection, first bullet accuracy, no post-processing/fog crap, no stiff/slippery character movement, none of this random shot garbage. Sorry Valve, you dropped the ball when you let Hidden Path Entertainment develop this package of fail.

So once GO is out, will Retrodence server still be up and running? Cause based on what I've played so far, I'm really not liking it as much as CSS. Clunky.

Don't see why retro would have to come down. We have more server space now I think than we did when 1.6 transitioned to Source, so it's easier to keep them both up. Plus from the looks of things a lot of people aren't liking GO that much. But who knows, if enough people switch over, Retro may eventually be taken down. Just not right away, and prolly not for a long time.

Edited by samurai nightling

Bottom line will obviously be the players, if they migrate and retro dies, then it dies, if the players shun GO and continue to play in retro, then it will live, at least that would seem the logical progression. When the time comes, the board will mull it over, until then, just have fun and keep digitally slaughtering one another! :D

I hate fog in games and post processing. The fog how its set up in most games its like...If I went to the street light and was just barely able to see the next light just a block away, which is 200feet away. It doesnt get hazy till about the next 200 feet (roughly 201 to 400feet is when it gets hazy). Where he stands in that video is like 50feet away when fog kicks in. Also all those special effects would cause games to run hotter, and just uses up computer memory. That stuff is like the Lens Flare of the video game world, its useless and doesnt need to be.

Now if they could get rid of mouse smoothing in-games, cause just barelly turning in most games triggers gaussian blur effect, ok that makes sense.

I do like the cone shape the player views through (that stretches/condenses the sides of your screen) gives a real human eye effect. Even on PC you never sit right up against the monitor so it wont inhibit your eye sight/gameplay. Thats the only good thing out of the video and this game probably.

Edited by ValenAlvern

• 3 weeks later...

OK. I just got my GO beta key like 3 days ago. I'm super late to the party. So far, the game actually feels pretty great. Movement looks more natural to me in terms of the way people come through a corner (which matters a lot). Although I haven't tested it, I really hope lagging hitboxes is decreased from the way it is in CSS. The guns themselves are OK. I agree that the recoil feels a bit toned down and spray can be controlled better. I'm going to reserve judgment as to whether this is good or bad, but it certainly is going to take a bit of getting used to.

I think the most promising aspect of the game is the 5v5 competitive matchmaking. Most of the games I've jumped into had people playing cooperatively with mics. However, a common pattern I'm seeing is as soon as a team begins to lose, the whole team starts rage quitting (surprise). I have a feeling this mode is really going to end up being just a novelty, and if we get a dedicated server up like retro, I'll end up spending all my CS time on it.

Barashin