Monk build help

Clueless

This is my first real go around with this type of game, so I'm a noob for sure. My monk is currently lvl 23 I think, I'm just looking for advise as to the best way to build him up, because honestly,I have no idea what I'm doing and usually just equip the best gear I can find (or that Flitter drops for me, thx btw) and use the newest skills as they unlock....then I mash buttons and hope stuff dies.

I have no idea as to the best way to progress my dude, I just know that pretty much everyone is far more advanced than me.

Well, resistances will be a huge thing you'll need in inferno, or even hell. Monks make good tanks, to take all the beatings but most of them who are amazing tanks do very little DPS, making soloing impossible cuz nothing will ever die. See some of Sky's recent posts about his monk, he had nearly 1500 resistances but only did 4k dps, and in inferno when monsters have ohhh 2-4 million health, you need to do a little more or play with people who do.

As far as skills, I havent made my monk yet, its sitting at level 1, so Sky and a few others would be better resources for which skills are best. I do know however that button mashing usually isn't the best option especially when u get to inferno, because chaining skills in a correct order to survive is usually the best option in games like these.

With 800 resist I can tank butcher no prob, and i can survive act 2 longer now (after the nerf) but i think you'll need much more for acts 3 and 4, you're gonna want somewhere along Sky's resist. monk has a passive skill that ups all your resist to your highest, so stack 1 type of resist (e.g. physical resistance). in addition to whatever resist you choose, stack all resist as it adds to your total resist.

I also equip life on hit (about 800 currently) and i find that helps.

For skills, I went with a heal/tank combo:

1. Senerity (gives you invulnerability) with Peaceful Repose rune (heals you)

2. Breath of Heaven (heals you) with Circle of Life rune (increases healing power)

3. Mantra of Healing (increased life regen) with Time of Need rune (increases resistance by 20%)

4. Mystic Ally with the Earth Ally rune (increases HP by 10%)

My biggest problem with my monk right now is damage (only 5K-ish), I take forever to kill anything. Next up is to find a better weapon

Sky
(edited)

Don't worry about using the "All With One" passive.

That ability is the one that makes all resists equal to your highest resist. I'm saying this because if you don't meet 1,000 resist

or better in Act 3, you're going to get rick-rolled trying to Tank. If that's the case and you're going to go to the auction house

to get the gear to make up for it, you might as well search for All Resist gear, since it's actually cheaper than buying gear

that is specific to one resist type. If you find a piece that is all resist and another type of resist, that's golden, too. Of course, if

you are going to use this passive, then you should be stacking Physical Resist because mobs, outside of doing insane

magical damage in Act 3 and 4 also do insane physical damage.

In my pure tank build, I sit, I poop you not, at 14,993 health. I have 2,053 resist when buffed with Time of Need and

War Cry. Mobs in Act 3 and 4 still hurt, but not as much. However, physical damage can still take a toll, but it depends

entirely on the mob. Some mobs, as I have found, don't follow the resistance rule and only decrease their damage based on

the raw armour value. They even ignore the physical resist that a player has, such as the axe splitter mobs. These are

the mobs carrying the gigantic axes. They're also a bit glitchy, as I've found when pulling them in with cyclone, they'll actually

instant swipe without an animation, and deal critical damage every time, as a result. So, that's something you don't want to do.

On the downside, Ghom has been ridiculously over-tuned in the 1.0.3 patch. Clouds were supposed to be smaller, but

have been doubled in size, last twice as long, and spawn two at a time. They also deal 10,000 damage per second that you

stand in them, and remember, there are two clouds layered on top of each other. Also, resistances don't count towards the

cloud damage, so keep that in mind as well.

Because of this, I keep several sets on me for different occasions.

However, in my pure-tank set, with those high resistances come the cost of low damage. As a result, all of the people on my

friends list, are, for the most part, high damage dealing wizards and demon hunters. Several of the players on my list do

well over 100 to 150,000 dps. In my pure tank set, I poop you not, I do < 4600 dps, or so.

As another player stated in a game to me last night;

"Well, look on the bright side... Nothing can kill you."

"Yeah, but I can't kill anything, either."

So, what we're saying here...

There's no one viable build. In fact, there's no build that's really better than another for Monks (within reason), and the build

you decide to go with will differ depending on how you want to play. I don't believe my play style has ever actually been posted

on the diablo 3 forum. And, honestly, the monks posting there haven't been able to clear inferno, so I ignore their banter

anyway. Play around with the different skills and find a few that work for how you want to play.

Also, I use sweeping wind, as it increases my dps to about 10k, but if you don't have high enough resistances and you use it,

you'll find that mobs with reflect or lightning will drop you in an instant.

Edited by Sky
  • Like 1

GC Alumni

Wow, lots of info there, thanks. So it seems that any investment in good gear via the auction house would be a waste at my level since I would outgrow it too fast, hell, I'm still on normal mode, just started act3 (bf3 has taken most of my playing time)

lol, ill log on here, shortly.

Idealy, I like having a barbarian in my group, with two dps who are above 30-40k each, otherwise act 3+ isn't doable due to enrages, but if your dps is below 30-40k, we can do act 2 farming.

Of course, if you still need gear from act 1, we can farm that as well.

except everything will one-shot you, and that isn't viable in inferno since many groups can't be forcefully-tanked.

When I say that, several groups will submerge or teleport, and when they do, it's a threat drop, so they'll instantly kill any glass cannon they port to.

Meaning you'll be running out of gold, and fast.