Video camera help

Preacher

I have a business idea that I'm looking into and to do it properly I want to get really high quality video. In looking at most sites I am noticing more and more that the professional cameras they had a few years ago have been largely replaced by DSLR cameras. The video shooting I have planned will have good lighting and be tripod mounted with no action shots so I don't need telephoto lenses.

What I want is to film video of an individual speaking directly into the camera in a seated position and the camera mounted on a tripod. I would prefer one that also has a decent quality mic built in so I don't have to have a separate solution for sound.

What I need is to have this professional quality with myself being an amateur user. I realize there will be some learning involved but I am a quick study and tech savy.

So hear are my questions: What would work best? What have you personally used? Keeping quality vs price in mind what is the best solution for someone just starting out with filming? Is a DSLR as good in this type of filming as a digital video camera in the professional range like Canon XL2?

Thoughts?

From my experience you would be better having a good quality video camera, not a DSLR. DSLR videos are pretty good quality because they have the ability to use the camera's higher quality (over point and shoot cameras) CCD chip to process the image, however a high quality video camera will do better and video and audio. Most higher quality video cameras have multiple CCD processors breaking down color, light and motion so they get it done more efficiently. On top of that most video cameras will have a better microphone (or even have an optional mic input for even better audio), DSLR's mics are meant to be able to grab that moment of video when you need to on the fly. I don't think you need a video camera quite as nice as the Canon XL2 to get the job done but it will have a better overall video from a camcorder vs the camera. I think the video would look pretty good on the DSLR but the audio is what worries me the most, but I don't know how important the clarity of the audio is to you. The best way for me to compare the DSLR's microphones audio quality is comparing it to your flat panel TV/ laptop's speakers... they get the job done but they aren't an awesome home theater system.

If it is going to be a personal investment in the equipment, I would rather own the DSLR over the video camera.

I have a Canon EOS 60D and it shoots gorgeous video, the built in mic isn't much tho. Keep in mind the XL2 doesn't shoot HD video, and still uses MiniDV cartridges for recording, that's an 8 year old camera now. Guess it really depends on what you want for quality and how much you want to spend. You can buy a Canon T3i DSLR with lens for less that $900 and it will shoot 1080 video but you're limited by the size of the flash card - I wanna say you can get like like 10-12 minutes at the highest quality on a 4G card, but the highest quality is also a bit excessive. I'm sure the mic on it leaves you wanting something more but you can always add a mic. You can see quality comparisons on YouTube with just a bit of searching like "t3i video".

While the video is very important, it is the audio that is the point of the videos I will be shooting. I'll look into quality comparisons later today. I really want more of a personal review like trash gave of the DSLR since they are so much less expensive than pro video cameras.