Minecraft challenge: the aquarium

TheDude

I've been trying to get a squid into the aquarium on the top floor of my house. The wiki says it can't be done: They won't spawn in a body of water on that altitude, and they won't swim up a waterfall.

Any ideas?

Best one i've come up with so far is trying to hit it up a uphil creek, constantly building a block behind it so it won't fall down and throwing splash potions at it.

You might be able to hit it up there... fenix is right though, it'd despawn eventually. If you're still going to try it, maybe use splash potions of healing so you don't kill it.

Monsters (not holding items or wearing armor) and squid (but not animals), including hostile wolves as of 1.1, can cease to exist, or "despawn", under certain conditions:

• A mob will immediately despawn if ever there is no player within 128 blocks of it. Note that this appears to be a sphere, not a cylinder from map top to bottom.
  • A mob that has had no player within 32 blocks of it for more than 30 seconds has a 1 in 800 chance of despawning on each game tick (1/20th of a second). Therefore, the half-life of monsters not within 32 blocks of a player is 27.73 seconds, after the initial 30 seconds have elapsed.

I guess if you stay within 32 blocks of your pet for the rest of time, you're all set!