EVE online: The Largest Battle.

walkingCat

Estimates of the total losses incurred by players during the height of the battle range from $300,000 to $500,000, most of that coming from the wreckage of massive “Titan” space-ships, which cost between $3,000 and $3,500 a piece in real money. (Exchange rates vary in EVE.) Upwards of 100 Titans have been destroyed so far, as well as countless other ships. It’s a bit staggering to even conceptualize in-game items, even massive space-ships, carrying that sort of real world value. And then blowing up dozens of them in less than 24 hours.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/29/massive-eve-online-battle-could-cost-500000-in-real-money/

I read somewhere on the Internet, there is no way to actually have those virtual money exchange to USD. It's more about how much time they spent to get those values. The way they calculated those numbers, you can buy Time cards (or something like that) to get some things done without waiting in real life. So based on the cost of the Time cards we can tell almost exactly how much virtual money they lost in the battle.

I used to trade in game currency on various games. It comes down to trusting and middle men but it defiantly happens, just need to find the right websites to trade on. Not saying that the figures are dead on correct, it's all very rough estimations. But I can guarantee that a good portion of players who lost ships probably paid IRL cash for them or parts of them.

Edited by BlackYoshi

• 3 years later...