Jkap needs donations for replacement motherboard.

TeddyRuxpin

Jkap needs donations for replacement motherboard.

This is what happened.

Jkap bought a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard from tigerdirect.com back in December.

Along with an AMD FX 6300 6 core cpu and 4GB to start off with two Crucial Ballistix sport.

He was not able to get the rest of the parts around 70 days later to start building a better system.

I spent hours walking him through on building it. Taking pictures to make sure everything was right.

When he went to power it on there was nothing on the screen. So we did the bare basics just enough part to make it boot.

I told him I was pretty sure the board was junk. So he RMA's it for repair to ASUS they send it back less than a week claiming it was repaired.

He puts it back together and the same thing. Nothing on the screen.

So I had him to ship me the motherboard, CPU and RAM/Memory to test it. The CPU and RAM works just fine on my spare system here.

So that leaves the motherboard is at fault.

I got the same results with working known good parts. I got the long beep and 3 short beeps meaning the video card is not present.

I found that if you slightly flex the board it would POST. I was able to put Windows 7 on a spare drive and it passed Prime 95 stress test.

But once the board has cooled off it quits working.

I tried contacting ASUS to get them replace this board. Either the person would hangup or Close the online chat for service or blame an

incompatible video card. Which I never heard of unless it was for a different type slot.

Tigerdirect's return policy is only 30 days so hes screwed there.

Unless he buys another board then return this piece of junk back under the new board's receipt.

I can chip in at least $15 on a replacement board for him.

He will need $100 to get a replacement one.

Is there anyone willing to help chip in for a board for him?

I found that if you slightly flex the board it would POST. I was able to put Windows 7 on a spare drive and it passed Prime 95 stress test.

what.

What type of video card and psu does he have?

He can try to buy a new one - return old mobo, unless they check serial numbers, and I bet they do.

Why do you make calls to ASUS? I remember Jkap joked about his problems to write/speak, is it the reason?

From what I recall, if mobo breaks its easier/cheaper to get a new one.

Try to contact tigerdirect and explain the problem.

Edited by walkingCat

(edited)

I tried a GTX 260 with a OCZ 700 watt PSU. That is more than enough power to this system. My stuff came from a working computer.

Jkap tried his Geforce 640GT which does not require any extra power other than what is supplied from the PCI-E slot. He has a Corsair cx650 watt system builder series which is more than enough.

I just learned when Jkap sent the board back for RMA to ASUS he sent it in the original motherboard box and

when they shipped it back to him it came in the plain white box. Tiger direct will want the original box with the serial sticker on it.

I already called tiger direct for his behalf they will not budge on the 30 day return policy. Because he did not buy the square trade protection.

I made the calls because I currently have possession of the board and have the RMA numbers that he gave me. Hes not sure what to tell them what they want to know.

Yeah Crasx that was the only way I could get this system to POST was slightly flexing the board. That would be like a cold solder joint somewhere or a broken trace to me.

I was testing this outside of a computer case too on the anti static bag it comes in on a wooden desk.

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

You think they would have fixed it the first time Limi. The only thing I can think of that they did to it was flashed the Bios to a newer version and hope it fixed his issue.

It came with 1903 installed according to the sticker on the board. When it was shipped out and it came back with 2201 bios. The CPU he has been supported since version 1006.

The question remains is this.. If they repair it and are not successful will they ship it back broken again the 2nd time around like they did the first time?

Or if they did fix it how long will the repair last before it goes out again. Or will they find something wrong with it to where its not repairable and refuse to do anything about it.

It seems to me the way they are handling this they want him to buy a second board and throw this one in the trash. Which means hes out of $100 he spent on the broken one.

(edited)

This will work here and its $25 cheaper. He does not need the I/o shield since hes has one already if it does not come with one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-M5A97-R2-0-Desktop-Motherboard-AMD-970-Chipset-Socket-AM3-ATX-/351038478373?pt=Motherboards&hash=item51bb861825

But I had bad experience once with a open box board which was a m4a79xtd evo which on youtube alot of people said that board was junk. This has 90 days compared to the newegg 30 day on open box that I got screwed with.

I will put forth $20 towards it. I can't can't afford the rest on my own yet. I will try to see if I can put anymore towards it in a few days.

Edited by san`
Paypal email removed

Teddy, I trust that you're being a loyal and helpful friend, but as I'm always skeptical I'm going to lock this until we get some verification from Jkap that he's in need of the new parts.

Crasx has reached out to him, hope to have an answer soon.

If people want to donate thats fine. I have no problem

right now i cant get a new motherboard at the moment.

right now Im very upset at ASUS and there "repair center"

If people want to donate thats fine. I have no problem

right now i cant get a new motherboard at the moment.

right now Im very upset at ASUS and there "repair center"

That's fine, please repost the appropriate Paypal info.

It's not that we don't trust you san was just being cautious and covering his bases. I'm sure san didn't mean to offend you or speak against your trustworthlyness. Very cool of you to buy the motherboard though, we need more generous people in this world.

Well I have to admit, this post stunned me for a minute or two. I needed to read it twice. My reasons were: why you were taking care of this problem, why Jkap didn't ask for help here on the forums, who the heck TeddyRuxpin is?

Later I kinda figured most of it.

Happy end.

As Yoshi said, just being cautious. Frankly, there are very few people in this world that I trust, so if that means taking a little time to verify everything is legit then that's what I'm going to do.

Anyway, good work, hopefully JKap will be able to play soon.