New Computer

SuperJo

ROosTEr,Jul 19 2003, 02:53 AM] I still stick by waiting a couple months (at least until the end of September).  I am almost positive that AMD will have released the Athlon64 by then and the prices on the high end 32-bit processors should drop with a quickness.

word..Cant waits for the 400 fsb for cheap

(edited)

With the help of Homer, and NOFX this is my setup so far.

Chieftec Server Chassis

Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S OEM

LITE-ON XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H 16X DVD ROM Drive BLACK- OEM48X

ALPH PAL8942T. Heat Sink ONLY. for Pentium 4 (mPGA478).

Panasonic Panaflo Axial Fan 60x60x25.5mm, Ball Bearing,**With the 2nd Wire**DC 12V, 2.04W, 4200 RPM, 19.1CFM, 32.0 dB-A Model: FBA06A12H - OEM (Im hoping this fits on the heatsink)

SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/LBL - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Plantronics DSP-500 PC Headset - RETAIL

(2)CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64MX64 PC-3200C2PT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader OEM

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4P800 Deluxe Retail

Microsoft Intelli-Mouse Explorer Version 3.0a - New Lighter and Brighter Silver Accents - OEM Version

ENERMAX EG465P-VE(FM). 460W Power supply for AMD K7, K8 & Pentium4.

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 - OEM Full Version

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - RETAIL (Dont Know if this supports analog and digital, I want one that does)

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP RETAIL

So I figured out SATA is too expensive, and Im still wondering if the Audigy2 supports analog and digital so it wont matter what speakers I decide to get. Ya'll want to check this to make sure I got everything? I dont wanna have to go get other stuff after this. Do i need thermal grease?

Edited by SuperJo

Looks like my uncle has decided a RAID 1 configeration with SATA is a must. So I have added 2 SATA seagate 80GB HD's. However it says REQUIRES ADDITIONAL POWER ADAPTER. What is that, and where can i get it?

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Looks like my uncle has decided a RAID 1 configeration with SATA is a must. So I have added 2 SATA seagate 80GB HD's. However it says REQUIRES ADDITIONAL  POWER ADAPTER. What is that, and where can i get it?

Just means you want a really good power supply.

ROosTEr,Jul 19 2003, 02:53 AM] I still stick by waiting a couple months (at least until the end of September).  I am almost positive that AMD will have released the Athlon64 by then and the prices on the high end 32-bit processors should drop with a quickness.

word..Cant waits for the 400 fsb for cheap

My Epox nForce2 mobo (which was only ~$90) supports 400MHz fsb freq. Already confirmed too.

With the help of Homer, and NOFX this is my setup so far.

Chieftec Server Chassis

Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S OEM

LITE-ON XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H 16X DVD ROM Drive BLACK- OEM48X

ALPH PAL8942T. Heat Sink ONLY. for Pentium 4 (mPGA478).

Panasonic Panaflo Axial Fan 60x60x25.5mm, Ball Bearing,**With the 2nd Wire**DC 12V, 2.04W, 4200 RPM, 19.1CFM, 32.0 dB-A Model: FBA06A12H - OEM (Im hoping this fits on the heatsink)

SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/LBL - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD800JB - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Plantronics DSP-500 PC Headset - RETAIL

(2)CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 512MB 64MX64 PC-3200C2PT With Platinum - Silver Heat Spreader OEM

ASUS Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron Processors, 800Mhz FSB Model# P4P800 Deluxe Retail

Microsoft Intelli-Mouse Explorer Version 3.0a - New Lighter and Brighter Silver Accents - OEM Version

ENERMAX EG465P-VE(FM). 460W Power supply for AMD K7, K8 & Pentium4.

Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL

Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 1 - OEM Full Version

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 - RETAIL  (Dont Know if this supports analog and digital, I want one that does)

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB DVI/TV 8X AGP RETAIL

So I figured out SATA is too expensive, and Im still wondering if the Audigy2 supports analog and digital so it wont matter what speakers I decide to get. Ya'll want to check this to make sure I got everything? I dont wanna have to go get other stuff after this. Do i need thermal grease?

Super, you might want to reconsider your headphones. If I am not correct, the DSP-500s are USB so they will bypass your sound card. No sense in getting those headphones if you want to take advantage of the Audigy2 (which I believe DOES support both digital and analog).

A good headset is the Plantronics .Audio 90s or even better, get a crappy desk mic and buy yourself some Sennheisers.

Are the Western Digital Hardrives at newegg all SATA? cause im trying to find one that supports sata.

Also, why would your uncle say "it is a must"?  RAID 1 is mirrored so so you 1) lose half your storage space and 2) every "write" will be done twice (takes longer).  Not that big a deal, but I have always preferred RAID 5 myself.

I don't think so. I am pretty sure any HD that supports it natively would have it highlighted clearly. I do know that some mobos that support SATA (Abit for one) comes with a Serrial adapter for using PATA HDs (Parallel ATA, commonly called regular ATA) with SATA mobos.

Looks like my uncle has decided a RAID 1 configeration with SATA is a must. So I have added 2 SATA seagate 80GB HD's. However it says REQUIRES ADDITIONAL  POWER ADAPTER. What is that, and where can i get it?

Just means you want a really good power supply.

SATA drives use a different power connector and you need the adapter to plug thedrive into the standard PSU harness.

12-104-652-01.JPG

Just do a search for "SATA adapter" on newegg.com