Computer Question

Guest Orbital

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

I've owned a Geforce2 ti 200 and for the past 2 months, I've noticed this problem when I go to the Settings tab when I go to Desktop Properties:

Invalid Display Settings

The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows.

The system  has been started using the default VGA driver.

Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select one of the Microsoft provided drivers.

See, the only problem is, I understand what the messege means, it's pretty straight-forward, I've been using the latest drivers from Nvidia. So now, I use a GeforceFX 5200 128 mb and I still get the same problem. I uninstalled the drivers, and downloaded these drivers from Nvidia: DRIVERS. I've even downloaded NVIDIA File Remover v0.5 and uinstalled the drivers, then searched the harddrive for any leftover utilities, and DEL them. I do not know what the problem is.

And I do realize not all NVIDIA drivers are WQL qualified [Microsoft Certified], but I've still used non-WQL drivers before and haven't gotten this problem. The only reason I fear this problem, is because I do not feel I am getting all the power out of my computer.

Try uninstalling the driver and using the default Windows VGA driver. Then boot into Safe Mode (hit F8 during the black and white screen with the progress bar to get a menu selection list). Go to Device Manager (Right-click "My Computer", select "Manage", then select "Computer Managerment (Local)"-->"System Tools"-->"Device Manager" in the left pane). Under the drop-down menus across the top select "View"-->"Show hidden devices". Then expand "Display Adapters" in the right-hand pane and delete anything listed there.

Reboot in to regular mode and install the latest nVidia drivers.

Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guest Orbital
Guests

To go with what Gond said:

What I did was: I unistalled the Nvidia drivers. Reboot. Went to Device Manager found some funky driver that wasn't the Standar VGA Display Driver, it was something from an awkward company. I DEL that driver, rebooted and Windows set the display driver to standard VGA, then I installed the Nvidia driver. It was that funky driver that was setting itself as my default that was screwing my computer up.