good deal?

TheBugs

I'd get an nForce2 motherboard instead.

My recommendation:

1. Go to Sharkey Extreme, look on the Guides tab, then look for the latest Value Gaming system. Use this as a starting point.

2. Go to Newegg and price all those parts. Look at the user reviews. Get familiar with motherboards, RAM, and CPUs. Maybe you want a flashier case, different hard drive?

3. Decide what you want and buy it from Newegg.

looks like a good deal to me, yea the nforce2 chipset is better, but they have nforce3 out, or so i have heard......but the KT400 is good also. One thing Im glad I got on my mobo was decent sound.

When playing Battlefield and battlefield mods, you can turn on hardware acceleration, it makes a huge difference.

heh yea i thought nforce3 was for the 64's...So homer I gotta question for ya. I remeber u sayin u built a hyperthreading machine recently. Im thinkin about selling my A7n8x AMD system and buying a P4. What im looking at right now is the 2.4 800 bus chips(best deal pricewise for the CPU) and Im lookin at the Asus mobo with the P4S800 SiS 648FX chipset. But of course im going to wait a little while, cuz i heard intel's CPU's are going to drop near the end of the month. So my questions are Is the performance on this hyperthreading CPU's worth it? I heard its definatly faster for desktop use. Also, what do you think about that chipset or that chipset compared to something like ECS's line of mobo's.

First off all the 800mhz bus P4's are HT. The great leap isn't from the HT, probably only minor if any. The jump is with the DualDDR 800mhz bus - a P4/2.4 on 800 fsb seems more responsive than the 533mhz bus P4/2.66 that I use at work. My home system is a XP2000+ with 2 WD SE's in RAID 0, and it seemed like a slouch compared to the 2.4/800/RAID 0 (only 5400rpm drives tho) system I built. I don't have any personal experience with the Dual-DDR AMD systems however.

If I was building a system today (which I think about all the time, and think through my 'dream system' at least once a day) it would include:

P4/800fsb - as fast as I could afford

Intel 875P chipset mobo with SATA RAID 0 ability

1gb (2x 512mb) Corsair XMS

2x 36gb WD 10,000rpm SATA

Radeon 9800 Pro

Antec True 430 psu