fsb question

All Kill3r

ok. say you have pc3200 ram that runs at 200mhz (ddr400) and your proc fsb set to say 250mhz on a locked x14multiplier, is this differnece is fsb limiting the cpu from full potential ? in which case faster ram would be needed or an oc ? still...if you can only get the mhz of the ram up to say 220ish with increased voltage thats still 30mhz shy of the 250 comin from the cpu. if the case is that efficieny is being lowered by the non-matching speeds of the ram and cpu would changing the ratio on the ram to say 5:4 instead of 1:1 be what is needed or would this lower performance too?

also, if you run dual channel ram and stick another chip in, do the 2 originals still run dual and the 1x stick runs single ?

thnx, just trying to get a better idea of what i can expect to see out of my new rig.

Edited by All Kill3r

Answering your questions backwards...Adding a 3rd stick of ram converts all the RAM to single channel.

IIRC, your FSB will not ramp down to the RAM, it will just run that fast and you will have RAM issues. But you might check your BIOS because most newer BIOS, esp. those designed with OC features, will allow you to lock the RAM freq to a speed different from the overall FSB (similar to locking the AGP at 66 and PCI at 33).

my experiance is a huge performance lose if your ram is lower than your CPU. For instance I had my CPU at 220Mhz and RAM was at 200 and it ran really poor. It ran much faster when they were in sync, even though it was at a lower clock rate. It would take a long time for internet explorer to come up etc. But it all depends, just play around with the settings to get it to run the best.