Want to Buy

soul .gc

All,

I am currently searching for an old muscle car for a winter project. I am looking for something in fair to poor shape that requires engine and/or body work to get back in shape. I prefer Mopar or Camaro/Firebird(67-69).

Please let me know if you know of anyone selling something like this or if they have it in their yard on blocks and you tthink they may want to sell the car.

Also--I am desperately searching for a 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury if anyone ever sees one please let me know. Been trying to find one for 3 years that is not overpriced.

I will pay a finders fee if someone finds me a good deal.(not a lot of money though)

Soul

well, on the quarter mile, yes. Definately. But there are few things sexier then the 1967 MGA or Austin Healy Bugeye Sprite!

butter1.jpg

(/\ the MGA)

01austinhealey.jpg

/\ the sprite

i've always had a special spot in my heart for 60ish firebirds and other pontiacs, and have always loved Hemi 'Cudas. But the simplicity, aesthetics and quality of drive you get with a spunky little four banger brit car cannot be beat!

Oh, soul, by the way, have you looked on ebay? Its a longshot sometimes, but if you find someone selling what you're after within a 50 mile radius of you it might be worth it to shoot out to have a look at the car. Wherabouts in the world are you? seems to me a lot of muscle cars go for sale on ebay around the west coast...

Homers tip was the best so far...tons of stuff there. Usually the best deals are found by word of mouth though....Someone's friend of a friend has an old car behind their barn they want to get rid of...that type of deal.

So if anyone knows something like this let me know please.

Being vigilant with a local 'Thrifty Nickle' types weekly free paper is your best bet for the really cheap deals.

Once upon a time I built this:

charger2.jpg

Just a little work.

charger3.jpg

charger5.jpg

charger7.jpg

After owning a 4200lb. car and upgrading the suspension to the max, I was left with a 4200lb. car. I'm more into the smaller sports cars now. I had a '69 TR6 for a while.

It took about $15k and 2500 hours over 15 months to do, I recommend buying one already done. I sold in the down muscle car market and was happy to get $11k for it. I bought a house.

BTW, it was a 383 Magnum car and was a dealer demonstrator so it had all the nifty options - air, leather, power windows/steering/brakes, cc, tic-tach-tock, auto. I bought a 4spd 383 'Cuda after the Charger and it was a much funner car. The Charger's best MPG was 13mpg highway totally babying it for 90 miles. Typically around town it got 5-7mpg.

The motor was totally built and it would leave about 15ft twin tire marks when shifting to 2nd gear full throttle with a 3.23 Sure-Grip rear axle. Not too shabby, but I learned that I hate heavy cars - bad handling, bad mpg (I had underestimated my willingness to put $30 in the tank every 100 miles). Oh, and it had burnt-out glass packs, so basically straight pipes and it was loud. Always setting off car alarms.

I won many awards with it, including Best Paint of Show and Best B-body Dodge at the West Coast Mopar Show. I was always worried about the door-ding gnomes that roam parking lots. Was more fun building than owning. Lots of sheet metal to always polish.

I had a 69 GTO in Tallahassee for awhile. My Brother and I bought it for 400bucks. The roof was pitted and leaked, the quarters were holy and the trunk could be seen through. The previous owner had cut out the automatic shifter console and put in a muncie 4spd but he cut the hole way to big and you could see the road. The passeger floor also had good visibility to the road and the exhaust leaked at the mufflers letting it fill the interior.

But boy would that car poop-n-get. There was no reverse due to the revese collar being broken inside the tranny so we just made sure never to have to backup. All we used it for was showing the FSU preppies how slow their mustangs and BMW's were....it was a blast.

That is what I am looking for, something I can buy and rebuild the engine...eventually fix the body but just be able to go light to light with people and grab second and third like nobodies business.

The TR6 was a 1969. It was all there, a little rough in areas. But fun car. It had the classic Lucas - Prince of Darkness electrical system. It really needed a frame-off and I wasn't up for it. The 6cyl was smooth and the 4sp was very nice. Suspension was excellent. Wood dash is cool. The TR3 has the starter button?

When I got it I had to replace 4 of the 6 UV joints in it and add exhaust. You must be well aquainted with The Roadster Factory in PA. I did some mail-order with them.

In the end I found some spare parts including a motor to sweeten the deal and sold it for a tidy profit.