Enemy Territory

Crowbar

^_^ Just got done with a 3 hour stretch of playing ET. Great game! It's much different than Battlefield 1942. The gameplay is of a speed closer to Unreal Tournament, but without the deathmatch chaos. It's organized madness. On one particular map, my team (allies) spawned on a small beach with little room to move, and the axis shooting at us from the steep cliffs surrounding us. We had to get up to the cliff, and our engineers had to construct an assault ramp so we could scale them. I must have died over 20 times before we finally took the first bunker, allowing us to spawn there.

There is no kill/death ratio kept, everything is based on experiance points (XP). You earn XP for repairing a tank (engineer class) healing a wounded commrade (medic) killing an enemy (any class) and basically for anything else you do. I saw somewhere that some servers even keep track of your XP and when you logoff it's saved, similar to the Honor system in AA. Getting more XP improves your starting hit points, your accuracy, how much you heal, how fast you repair, etc, etc.

It's all infantry, there's maybe one or two tanks per map, and those don't really play any major role, as they are typically destroyed 40 or 50 times, only to be repaired, then destroyed again. The firefights are great fun, and the explosions from mortars and airstrikes are very well done. However, all this action seems to run incredibly well on even lower end systems. People who get unbearable framerates on Battlefield 1942 report that ET runs smooth as can be. I guess that's due to Return to Castle Wolfenstien being a several year old game. It runs great on my system, lending to that fast paced feel a little.

Bottom line, give it a try. Hey, you can use a flamethrower, what else do you want?

yeah, ET is the ONLY game I've found out of the many I've tried recently that gives me that enjoyment that CS had. I want to find (hell, I want to MAKE) a game that has that same magic. ET is close, not quite, but very enjoyable just the same.