Sound advise needed

Mad Bean

I've decided it is time to upgrade. This P.O.S. just can't handle the gaming anymore and I am going to build a new machine.

I know that I am going with a P4 2.8 and 512 or 1GB of PC3200 ram, but I want to know which mobo is the most stable and best running. I want to build something that will last for a while.

I am shooting to get it all built by FragFest, but sooner would be better.

Give me some feeback computer gooroo's!

I would definitely consider the Asus P4P800, the BIOS overclocking features are very nice and it's pretty stable. I've also heard a lot of good about Gigabyte and ABIT boards, so you might want to figure out exactly what kind of features you're looking for. If you're not going for OC'ing, you might even consider a Biostar. Homer's pretty proud of that board :P

Hey Bean

I am also looking into a P42.8 The boards im looking at are:

Abit AI7

Abit IC7

Abit IC7-G MAX2

Gigabyte GA-8IK1100

Those are the boards Im considering....there are the Asus boards in particular the P4P800 and the P4P800 Deluxe which seem like good boards as well. Im not into overclocking, just want a fast stable system. These guys here seemed to steer me properly so maybe I can help ya a bit as well. ;)

Another thing though....Before i finalize my purchase Im reading into the AMD chips a bit. The Athlon 64 seem like a good buy so you might want to give it some thought. In a day or so I can tell you what i like about em if i go that route :)

One thing i can say though is its been fun looking at all the different stuff and doing some research.....not to mention talking to thse nerds in here :o For real though, Homer, Birdman, All Kill3r, and nofx are lotsa help :)

Edited by Th3Fall3N W1lc0

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure what direction I want to go. I've considered the 64bit, and I've been considering the P4. I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

I'm just frustrated that I can't game anymore because of this 1000 Celeron just isn't cutting it.

I've heard that the ASUS boards are great. I'm not sure if I plan on O/Cing it, this will be my first build. But I do like the AMD and want to build a system that will give me a few years before I need to upgrade again.

So, if I go with the AMD 64, what is the best set-up?

want to build a system that will give me a few years before I need to upgrade again

Athlon64 if for you then.

So, if I go with the AMD 64, what is the best set-up?

how much money we have to play with :D for just mobo/cpu/ram that is

$227 AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail

$96 GIGABYTE K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "GA-K8VT800M" -RETAIL

$96 OCZ Performance Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200

Total -$419

Thats same setup from a different thread.

upgrade to AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1MB L2 Cache for $55

upgrade to AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1MB L2 Cache for $197

upgrade to OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Kits 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 for $129

upgrade to ASUS K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8V Deluxe" -RETAIL for $64

Edited by All Kill3r