Athlon64 3000+

[Mmmm]Homer

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

cross your fingers on that gigabyte mobo homer, I just built a new machine last week.

amd64 3200, gigabyte k8n pro, maxtor 160gig serial ata, corsair xms pc3200 (512), combination dvd-r,dvd-rw,cd-rw (sony), x-dreamer case, PNY geforce fx 5950 ultra, cooler master aerogate II temp moniter + fan control, rounded ide cables, uv reflective wire looms, blue cold cathodes, and 6 new fans. I build the machine last week, and the mobo went bad yesterday. Now I have to drive 3 hours to exchange it IF they have any in stock. Needless to say I'm not exactly happy right now =\

Edited by Justin

No tweaking involved....installed the programs and ran them...1024x768x32

3D Mark 2003

3D Mark 2001 SE

Will DL and run the PC Marks later on.

Homer - Nothing special as far as my HDD's I have a 60 gb and a 40 gb ide both western digitals

Post in here too

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...=29&t=7859&st=0

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

+++++++++3d mark 03:+++++++++

***************6478***************Fully tweaked catalyst 3.9 with CPU @ 2257Mhz

++++++++++3d mark 2001:++++++++

>>>>>>>>>>> **18007**<<<<<<<Quality settings

<<<<<<<<<<<<<18925>>>>>>>>>OC'd a lil' to 2433Mhz

++++++++++AquaMark3:+++++++++

<<<<<<<<<GFX score: 6048>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<CPU score: 7603>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<AquaMark score: 43005>>>>>>>>

AMD 3000+ @2.2Ghz

512mb pc3200 Crucial ram

ATI 9800xt 256mb (was a 9600non-pro)

Abit NF7-S Ver. 2.0

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Welp, all my benchmarks are currently 0.

I can only think that I have a DOA mobo at this point. Everything is torn apart on the old system and the new system is assembled but nonfunctional. I've eliminated the RAM, PSU, new case power switch, probably the CPU........

WAIT!!!!!!

Stroke of inspiration......drum roll please...... unplugged the non-Gigabyte USB connector from the Antec case, it's one of those with the one piece connector, not individual connectors....and.....it powered up! w00t! Back in the running now but I've lost a couple of hours. Whew, RMA is such a pain.

Wilco, I saw your 3DMark scores in the pinned thread, but what are your PCMark 2002 and 2004 scores?

Initial impressions:

Fast, nice responsiveness but I didn't have time to install any games last night. The 3DMark2001 car chase high detail I did notice that my FPS were about double what they were with the XP2400+. Overall, I'd say that the A64 speaks nicely of the XP2400+ system - it's a jump forward but not a huge leap. I think that many mundane computer functions are limited by the base gigahertz of a system, ie A64/3000+ and XP2400+ are both around 2.0ghz, and many functions are done about the same speed on either system. I suspect that the heavy load under gaming will produce different results.

It was nice that my Ti4600 had a little room to scale upward, I got about a 30% bump in performance.

The RAID on this Gigabyte board is simply much better than the Promise RAID I was using. Subjectively I'd say it runs 15-20% faster, that's just in file transfers where no CPU load is really incurred.

I ran Sandra burn-in wizard overnight and the case stayed at a constant 25-26c load or idle, the cpu idles at 35c and is at 42c under full load.

The stock HSF on the A64 is a little louder than I had hoped. The A64 on-die heatsink makes the CPU quite heavy.

The Antec case is awesome. I got this one. The 120mm fan is very quiet, I swapped out the 350w PSU that came with it for a Thermaltake 420 silent series one, which is fairly quiet. But the HSF can be heard over all of it. The drive bays are mounted sideways and have removable trays with rubber mounts, very nice touch. I had a Chieftec case with my old system which is basically the same as the Antec, but it really lacked alot of the small details and features that impress me about this case.

woot, glad your happy with it homer, everything looks on par thus far, good temps too :):peace:

As for your record OS install times... HOW ? heh, it takes me quit a bit longer then you...... is no RAID 0 my pit ?

Your pcmark04 scores is a lot lower then mine also ? Is that because i have dual channel on an intel rig ? pcmark04 - 4953

PCMark2004 does include partial graphic tests and a big part of the score goes toward that. My DX8 GF4 card just can't compete, look for Wilco to post his scores now that he has a 9800 Pro and A64/3000. You impressive FSB helps you out too.

I timed the 14 minutes from the time I partitioned the hard drive. It then did a quick format for NTFS and started copying files. The time stopped when it had rebooted the second time and was sitting at the WinXP desktop. If I added on the booting from CD initially it would probably add 3 minutes or so. I then installed the mobo drivers and SP1, then downloaded the remaining updates. Took about 1.5 hrs total for all that.

Yes, I love RAID 0. As soon as I can afford a pair of WD Raptors I'll get them.

I'm RMA'g this Gigabyte mobo. I think I'm going to get an Asus K8V Deluxe here locally. I could replace this one with a locally bought K8N Pro....hmmm.

I can't get the system to POST if any supplemental USB cable is plugged into the motherboard. Windows Device Manager shows a conflict with the USB controller.

RMAing the Gigabyte. In addition to the USB on the mobo screwed up the LAN was getting flaky. I'm not in the mood for issues. I bought an Asus K8V Deluxe locally, it's running fine with zero problems. The RAID was a little tricky to setup, getting the right drivers. The Silicon Graphics RAID on the Gigabyte seemed faster. It took 15 minutes to install WinXP on the Asus, still good though. With the Asus both hard drives are on the one channel that IDE RAID supports as opposed to the two channels I have used previously.

Here's some quicky benchmarks on the K8V Deluxe:

3DMark2001SE: 13572

PCMark2002:

CPU 6514

MEM 7820 <= better than the nForce3 chipset on the Gigabyte

HDD 1185

Homer -

PC Mark 2002

CPU - 6450

Mem - 8064

HDD - 676

PC Mark04

no tweaking whatsoever

As well as:

3D Mark 2003

3D Mark 2001 SE

again no tweaking

** Ill add this to the benchmark topic as well

Thanks Wilco.

The Asus is completely stable, it's too bad the Gigabyte wasn't becasue I really like the Silicon Image RAID (I had previsouly called it Silicon Graphics, oops). But the IDE RAID on the K8V Deluxe is 95% as good. I should note that the K8V is not a mobo for a beginner to tackle. There is alot of confusion regarding which RAID controller to use and what driver to use for it.

The board has 2 RAID controllers, one VIA and one Promise. The Promise will work for SATA or PATA (IDE), but the VIA is for SATA only. People get different benchmarks with different drivers with SATA drives in RAID 0 on each of the different controllers. Further, the manual calls the controllers by their chipset names, the sales literature by the "tradename", and the drivers on the CD-ROM use different names than either of those for the directory structure to find the drivers (which you have to KNOW to copy to a floppy and hit F6 when loading Windows, which alot opf people didn't realize). And the CD-ROM has RAID and non-RAID drivers for each controller compounding things!

I spent a couple of hours going through the K8V Deluxe thread on Amdmb.com to get up to speed. If you look in there you will also find out about the dreaded "RLZ 0333" capacitors. Asus bought a batch of bad caps from a supplier and these would eventually boil over and ooze acid on your mobo! First thing I did before buying this board locally was tell the sales guy that we had to check for them or I wasn't buying. We looked and they are "RLX 0337" so I'm fine, it was only the one batch that was bad but some boards have a mix of good and bad. I think that most all of the bad caps were pulled by the end of January and everyone getting boards now from Newegg has not had a problem. Asus or your retailer will exchange your board with a new one if you have any RLZ 0333 caps as it is a known problem.

For comparison I rebuilt my old system for the person I'm selling it to last night and the Windows install took 21 minutes, versus the 14 minutes on the new system.

"old" system as configured to sell, 21 minute install:

XP2400+

Abit AT7 Max

2 x 256mb PC2100 Simple Tech (check your local Officemax in-store specials)

1 x WD 160gb SE IDE

ATi 7000

48x CD-RW

WinXP Home w/ SP1

"old" system as configured as I used it, 18 minute install:

XP2400+

Abit AT7 Max

1 x 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS (running at PC2100 though)

2 x WD 80gb SE RAID 0 IDE

GF4/Ti4600

48x CD-RW

WinXP Pro (no SP1)

"new" system as configured now, 14 minute install:

A64/3000+

Asus K8V Deluxe

1x 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS

2 x WD 80gb SE RAID 0 IDE

GF4/Ti4600

52x CD-RW

WinXP Pro (no SP1)

Again, I measure install time from the time you hit "Setup Windows ..... NTFS (quick format)" to the time that I'm at the Windows Desktop. I'm there to input the COA key as fast as I can, as well as click through the other prompts that come up.