The truth behind fitness myths

Bubblegum Bandit

Fatty made a comment in one of the other threads about sharing info between us would be more effective than any magazine we read. So, I have long known the answer to some of these myths, but lacked the formal backing to them to express them here. I recieved a quarterly little packet that my company sends out about safety at home called: Family Safety & Health. It concentrates on keeping the employee and family safe at home as well as at work. Low and behold, I'm thumbing through it and find this article "Weighing in on getting thing; finding the truth behind fitness myths." I thought in light of some of the threads here I would post these. I am going to trim some fat off of the article though and just give you the meat.

Myth 1: If you're not at the gym an hour a day, five days a week, you might as well forget it.

Not true. You stand to reap great benefits even if you exercise just a little every day. Studies show a half-hour walk three or more times a week significantly reduces your risk of heart attack and stroke, lowers blood pressure, relieves stress, and boosts your energy and immune system.

Myth 2: Warming up before working out isn't necessary if you're careful.

If you believe this one, you could end up with a serious injury. Gently stretching and warming up your muscles before and after you exercise is the No. 1 defense against many injuries.

Myth 3: You can lose weight by dieting alone.

This myth is quickly becoming the great American dream. As waistlines grow larger, the number of diets grows with them. The fact is, more than 90% of all people who lose weight with this method gain it back. Dieting is temporary depravation. Eating healty really means developing a new lifestyle. The real trick to losing weight and keeping it off is to adopt a healthy attitude including healthy eating consciousness and fitness regimen.

Myth 4: The best time to exercise is early in the morning.

The best time to exercise is whatever time works for you. Work out or fit some type of activity into your day whenever possible. The more you move, the healthier you will be.

Myth 5: Exercising the same body part every day is the fastest way to strengthen it.

Exercising the same body part every day is the fastest way to cause an injury. To build strength, work your muscles hard but be sure to give them rest. You don't respond well to constant pressure and your muscles are no different. Every muscle needs time to recover depending on how hard you work it. Diet, exercise and rest are all part of smart weight management. When you exercise a muscle you're actually doing that muscle a bit of damage ans while you're healing, your body repairs itself a little stronger.

Myth 6: Women who lift weights will develop big, bulky muscles.

Women who lift weights are not in danger of becoming muscle-bound. Most bulky muscles are the result of male hormones, and women don't have enough to make their muscles grow that large. For most women, strength training is a great way to tone up and stay in shape.

"It is extremely hard for females to gain muscle unless they have high testosterone levels, which they would already know from seeing their doctor," says Gregory Florez, CEO of Fitadvisor.com and spokesperson for the American Council on Exercise.

Myth 7: If I'm not sore the next day, I didn't work out hard enough.

You should only expect to be sore for the first few days of any new workout routine. If you exercise consistantly and you still feel sore, its time to rest. You've overextended yourself.

For those of you guys who are trying to BUILD musle, your exercise routine should constantly be changing therefore the above statement may not be totally true for you. If you are interested start a new thread and I will explain more of what I know about it - Bub

Myth 8: If you drink water while exercising, you'll get cramps.

Drinking fluids while exercising does not hamper your performance. But losing an excess amoung of water while working out can result in exhaustion, muscle cramps and loss of coordination, which can lead to health problems. To prevent dehydration, drink eight ounces of water right before your workout, and eight ounces every 15 minutes during exercise. Afterward, be sure to drink plenty of fluids, including sports drinks that replace electrolytes.

Its important to note that while you can't get too much water, you can go overboard on the electrolytes. I've heard it said depending on how much you actually just worked out, one of the big gatorades you get at the convieniet store is plenty usually, just drink water after that.

Myth 9: Sweating gets you in shape.

The basic rule of working out and staying healthy is to avoid excessive sweating whenever possible. Energy is required to cool down the system. This energy comes from your sweat glands. The amount of work you can do lessens when sweat glands use energy. When you are exhaused, rest. You may be in danger of heat stroke.

Myth 10: Extra protein makes you strong.

This is half truth. the only way eating extra protein will make you strong is if it is included with a high intensity strength-training program like that of body builders. Most regular folks don't need extra protein to increase their strength, the get enough in their everyday diets.

Myth 11: Diet sodas are acceptable replacements for water.

Diet sodas are absolutely not a replacement for water. The caffeine alone acts as a diuretic and can provide gastric upset. Diet soda can strip the body of much needed nutrients and actually cause it to lose water, accelerating dehydration. You should always be sure to consume between 8 and 12 8-ounce glasses of water per day.

Myth 12: Abdominal exercises will flatten your stomach.

Abdominal exercises, such as sit-ups or crunches, are important for strengthening muscles and improving posture. But muscle is muscle and fat is fat. If you have excess fat in your abdomen, you won't be able to see the muscles, no matter how many crunches you do.

In response to #2:

Did you know that a little bit of warming up or stretching is actually worse than none at all?

The first reaction your muscles have when stretched slightly is to tighten up more than they were originally...you tense up, thus creating the potential for a quick injury. So basically, do it right or don't do it at all.

I have no sources on this, learned/read it years ago in a clinic. Open to debate on it cause I've never seen otherwise.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

With #2, you're best to do a bit of cardio to get everything going, then stretch... stretching should be about 10-15 seconds per whatever you're stretching out.

Also with #11, the Army has recently started to limit the amount of water you drink because its possible to drink too much when your body is under physical demand.. I just can't remember why for the life of me :/

Also on #11 how much do you know about diet pop? I'd say I have 2 a day, but that is mixed in with a lot of water. I'm just fairly addicted to caffeine, and I'm pretty sure diet pop > coffee .. so ya.

PDO is correct. Cardio along with proper diet. Basically you wanna expend more calories than you take in. Although I don't agree with fatty's opinion about being hungry, a sensible diet and some exercise will do the trick.

I will admit though, when I was trying to uncover my abs, I had a really hard time, I was working out 6 days a week for about 45 min and doing an hour of cardio afterwards just to get mine to show. I hold my last fat around my waist though, some people are different. In that case, I will agree, I had to remain hungry if I wanted a six pack. Actually, I have a six pack now, but its in a nice insulated cooler....beer.gif

Trouble, feel free to ask away. Don't feel silly. This is your body you are messing with, knowledge is power. I will help as much as possible.

Also, as far as too much water is concerned, I agree with the hampering of performance if too much water is consumed. The things above, while I have heard most of them before, were in a magazine. I know when I play/played sports if I drank too much water I became sluggish. However, in the majority of these threads we are talking about weigthlifting and general cardio exercise, for those things I think the health benefits of drinking as much water as possible are endless.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
Although I don't agree with fatty about starving yourself, a sensible diet and some exercise will do the trick.

Agree totally with you, simply by cutting back on certain types food and actually eating more often I've lost weight. It's about not eating fatty foods and eating smaller portions.

Although I don't agree with fatty about starving yourself, a sensible diet and some exercise will do the trick.

Agree totally with you, simply by cutting back on certain types food and actually eating more often I've lost weight. It's about not eating fatty foods and eating smaller portions.

Where did I mention anyone starving themselves? :huh:

Ahhh....well, being hungry is nothing like starving yourself. If you're going to decrease your calorie intake...guess what? Yer gonna be hungry!

Also, it's a well known fact that it takes a while (what, 30 minutes?) before our brain gets the signal that we're full. That means discipline during that time (being hungry)...instead of eating until you can actually feel your gut move outward.

Moreover, when I say "be hungry" I mean say no to that extra helping that you want.

Stay hungry. (I'm hungry right now, but I had a nice dinner...I'm gonna stay hungry).

You said something about the only way

And I also never said anything "the only way." I believe I was sharing my personal views and current methods. I don't think I ever said my way was the only way...correct me if I'm wrong.