Flightgear

[Mmmm]Homer

I'll prolly get this...been itching to play SOME flight sim...and free is my best price right now...

a friend and me actually did the Charles Lindbergh flight across the atlantic with FS98...but we did it in the leer jet rather than the cesna

I still don't think I'd enjoy it...I can't even find a place to change controls and you don't even really start on a runway...you just kinda start on the ground then I THINK you roll down a hill and hope you get enough speed to take off...

Playaa, there are time acceleration keys, gotta RTFM, or C:\Program Files\FlightGear\data\Docs\FGShortRef.html by default. This opens if you hit the Help in-game.

And go into the advanced screen when starting it and play with the time of day settings and weather.

I wonder if there are any virtual airlines for this. In the heyday of FS98 a friend of mine was a pilot for a virtual commercial airline. He was based out of "Boston" and he had his own plane. After logging enough flight hours, he could upgrade to pilot a larger plane. Seemed so pointless, sitting at the computer for hours, flying in real time from Boston to Chicago, or Atlanta, or LA.

LOL, that sucks!

I grabbed the biggest one I could find, the An-224 and flew around SF Bay for a while. My MS Precision 2 joystick is supposedly supported and it works except for the 3rd axis (rudder) so it took about 8 passes to get lined up on the runway correctly so I could land it.

The X-15 is just crazy to try and pilot.

I do like the clouds and stuff, I cranked up the draw distance and all the effects. Looks pretty nice.