best motherboard

can anyone give me their opinion of the best motherboards available.

I need

1) best performance (price is not an issue)

2) best performance for money (price is an issue)

3) cheapest motherboard for descent power (price is an issue)

If anyone has good info for me to do some homework I would appreciate it.

Auggybendoggy

Your equation leaves out a critical component - the CPU. Pound for pound I'm of the opinion that AMD is the leader now. The price difference is so close between Intel and AMD 64's, and AMD has a performance edge - I say go AMD 64.

1) Best performance: Asus K8V Deluxe (if the definition of Performance is more than just speed)

Runner-up (only because is isn't released quite yet, but soon): Asus K8n-E Deluxe

2) Best performance for price (for overclocking): Abit AN7

3) Best performance for price (no overclocking): Biostar M7NCD

sorry bout the lack of info,

I intend on dealing with both intel and amd

so lets start with Intel.

Since I'll be working with digital audio workstations (intel leads amd in floating points for video and audio)

For all other applications then I'll go AMD.

Auggy

on the intel side of things it doesnt matter too much if your not an overclocker, if your planning to overclock then it matters. Unlike AMD all boards are agp/pci locked and perform too close to one another to notice a real world application difference. Depends if your looking for raid possibilities also. Depends of if your going to use Northwood or Prescott. Depends on the ram being used and what you need to get out of it. Too many unknowns.

imo.

#1 - Abit Ai7

#2 - Abit IC7-Max3

#3 - Asus P4C800

#4 - Asus P4P800

thats the order i rank the intel boards, those numbers dont correspond to yours. Honestly if your not going to oc these just get the cheapest intel board with 800fsb/Dual Channel/ Raid.

um i know its a l337 thing to have dual processing, but it that possible?

i wouldnt consider it l337. Single cpu's game just as well/better then a dual cpu system. They are inteded for something different then surfing the web. Is what possible, i dont think auggy meant to have both amd/intel in the same mobo...

Intriguing idea, AMD and Intel on one motherboard!

Since I'll be working with digital audio workstations (intel leads amd in floating points for video and audio)

For all other applications then I'll go AMD.

So are we talking more than one system here?

homer i can always count on you thanks.

I will def keep that advice. What I'll do is shop for one thats inexpensive for the low end machine and then i'll drop it in the forum to get your thoughts.

as for amd and p4 on one motherboard....HUH?

sounds like a winner if you can make it happen ;)

as for the high end intels I'll look at the abits and asus.

I have the p4p800s model myself and it seems to work pretty good.

I do have a few probs upon installing from a fresh format.

for some reason after a certain amount of programs go in I start getting these "cant find the file bla bla bla" so the installation ends.

PAIN.

I think my HD is going bad cause I get this message in my task bar saying there are files that are corrupt.

I'll look at the p4 boards and post again...

now...

what about boards for amd?

now...

what about boards for amd?

Your equation leaves out a critical component - the CPU. Pound for pound I'm of the opinion that AMD is the leader now. The price difference is so close between Intel and AMD 64's, and AMD has a performance edge - I say go AMD 64.

1) Best performance: Asus K8V Deluxe (if the definition of Performance is more than just speed)

Runner-up (only because is isn't released quite yet, but soon): Asus K8n-E Deluxe

2) Best performance for price (for overclocking): Abit AN7

3) Best performance for price (no overclocking): Biostar M7NCD