Pointless Maps

Fatty

Even though I don't play CS as much as I used to, I completely suport the game due to the gameplay and the type of game. I still enjoy it.

However, I'm not sure how long I can support a server that resorts so quickly to aim type maps such as scoutzknives or gloxor or whatever.

I won't buy that it has anything to do with keeping the server full, btw...cause I see it too often for that.

I am one voice among many in the coalition, but I would just like to make my thoughts known...I think we are, once again ( or continuing to???) playing the pointless maps too much.

In addition, I know of good players, both IN and OUT of the coalition, that specifically avoid our server when it's on a run like it is now. Take this however you want, it's just truth and I'm sharing it. This isn't a debate about how cool aim maps are...cause they're not when they're played more than any other....period. You can't jusitify them....so let us then turn and redefine what we're trying to do with our server. Bottom line: if our point is to run DM maps on a CS server, I'll have to reconsider my own personal contributions toward that.

I agree, I'm definately one who has changed to aim maps to fill it up, but it seems that most of the time the server is doing well we switch to aim maps then never go back to normal maps. After Scoutz its always deagle5 or aim_glocker. I'd like to get back to a rotation of normal maps.

oh yeah...I forgot...I paid money...now my voice matters somewhat...

just playing

:P

anyway.

I gotta say I don't mind the fun maps sometimes and when I do mind them I TRY not to complain (but we all know I can't stop from complaining)...what I'd like to see is more of the older maps that aren't played often like prodigy, piranesi, vertigo, estate, scud_2k1, storm, and there are more whose names I can't remember...

I think playing those maps would just bring a new feel to the game for a bit because right now it's either DAD, Inferno or scoutzknives...

:unsure:

:unsure: wha?

Just wasn't sure how to respond. How do we get back to Plat? (I think that's what it was called when Dirk had the server??) We just don't have the ping of GD trop or the dedication from players we had back then.

I know I'm guilty of switching to something like iceworld or scoutz just to get some people in. Don't think I've ever doubled them up one after the other. And after we've got some in, it takes off, and we've had some really good match-style play in there lately, unfortunately the only maps that are holding people very long are the DADs.

I would love to see a true CS server and have back some of the other maps that Playaa speaks of. But if we're gonna do that, I think it's gonna take a lot more dedication to sticking it out and playing maps of 2 on 2 till more are drawn in or back.

• 2 weeks later...

ok...since I paid some money I'm allowed to complain now...

last evening...I was on for 6 maps straight (I believe). Those maps were (in order): scoutzknives, aztec, dust2, aim_glocker, awp_map, scoutzknives...

now I know that I'm known as the guy who doesn't like "fun" maps...but I DO enjoy them (I had a great time on glocker for a bit MY WAY, which was to nade myself on purpose, type "kill" in console right as someone was about to knife me, etc.) and I thoroughly enjoy them at certain times (I really enjoy playground_x but no one but me seems to)...however that is just flat out way too much for me...I've started to frequent VI's server lately because of the amount of these maps that are played on this server...and honestly, I don't want to donate money to a server I won't play on (even if it's very little money).

now again, I DO enjoy those maps in moderation...but 4 of them out of 6 maps straight? If Trop is going to become that kind of server then I'm totally fine with that...I just won't ever play there.

and honestly, I think it's what the community wants now...last night I was talking to Knock about playing Playground_X but told her I'd still rather play a normal map...well pretty much EVERYONE with voicecomm said "NOOOO!!" to normal maps...so if that's the way the community wants to go then cool...I'd just like to be able to know which way it's gonna be.

my 2 cents

GC Founder

Well, we gotta decide what type of server we want, and what's more important: clients or compeition?

I don't care who's on the con....any admin that's on the con that isn't consulting ALL coalition members currently playing for their opinions is NOT doing things right. amx_chat MUST be used to discuss maps with members, and the weight of coalition members is like 20 compared to the weight of 1 pub client if he/she wants or doesn't want a specific map.

The maps that you speak of are NOT Counter-Strike. If "that's the way the community wants to go" then you, and I think I said this not too long ago, should expect to see me discontinue support for it in more ways than one.

I WILL support a CS server that has good play, even if I don't play in it, with both my time and money.

I will not support an AIM map server with my time nor money.

well Knock was on the con (if by "on the con" you mean the first admin in the server) and she DID ask me what map I wanted to play and I said "I don't really care but I'd prefer a 'real' map"

so we went to a real map, everyone complained (though no one told them to STOP complaining so they can't be blamed) and she put up a vote which EVERYONE but me voted to go to awp_map (literally I was the only one who selected option 2)

I didn't really care though...I was just goofing off in awp_map and actually having some fun. If I had cared I would have spoken up.

Though that brings up another point I've felt like saying for awhile...as a non-.gc member, when "fun" maps came up...I was made to feel as if my opinion didn't even matter and if I complained at all that I could just go play somewhere else...even if my complaining was in a "constructive manner" and only said it once...I would be threatened with "we can help you leave" and other comments...which at times has really turned me off from the game...

I just think that needed to be said and people need to pay attention to non-.gc members at times...

what's more important: clients or compeition?

well...you can't really have competition without clients...and honestly, I think the clients want the "fun" maps...

heck the other day Ghost came on during Italy and pretty much everyone wanted him to change the map so he put up a vote for as_oilrig (which is another fun map that hasn't been played a ton) and myself and 2 other people (Ghost included) wanted to go to it...everyone else voted no...then they all begged for scoutsknivez (which Ghost refused to go to)...so I think the community does want the "fun" maps...but honestly...I don't want to support a server that is all about that...I can't even explain how much I miss Platinum and the days that got me addicted to Counter-Strike....right now CS is something I do to pass the time and have some fun...back in the days of Platinum CS was something I rushed to get my work done for and wanted to spend every empty moment playing on Plat...those days were the "golden days" of CS...

*tear*

GC Founder

Welp, you may not be alone, and if you have a common vision (we'll never know if I don't get enought SWOTS back) then possibly we could recreate what you speak of.

I'd also like to hear from Swoop and Dweez...I wonder if there is a conflict of interest here, as they are venturing off trying to create the VI paradise. What concerns me goes to the root of the decision to create another CS server, and why that was necessary. I'd just like to know what they would like to create that is not happening at Trop II (unless it's completely a control thing about having your own server).

Obviously we don't want to necessarily compete for clients, but it should be a given that we don't want to lose our clients to ANYONE (well, then again, there are many I'm sure we wouldn't miss, eh?)

I don't care who's on the con....any admin that's on the con that isn't consulting ALL coalition members currently playing for their opinions is NOT doing things right.  amx_chat MUST be used to discuss maps with members, and the weight of coalition members is like 20 compared to the weight of 1 pub client if he/she wants or doesn't want a specific map.

Prolly gonna need to add this flag also to .gc members:

; Access flags:

; i - amx_chat and other chat commands

I don't think playaa has access to that given he's a supporter, not full admin. Thus for playaa it would change to:

"STEAM_0:1:565660" "m0mrules" "bi" "ce"    ; playaa

** this is not an endorsement of m0m or his ability to rule

And I know it's not something Fatty would go for, cause I know his opinion on things of this nature, i.e. taking away control, but there's always the possibility of going to a hard and fast, unchangeable map cycle. A lot of clans do this (or at least did back a few years ago when I played elsewhere a lot), and the admins simply do not have access to changing the maps. You build it that way, and it's solid no matter the map played.

see I don't think we need a solid map cycle...I think we just need moderation in the maps.

I still hold the belief that if we stick out the "hard times" that would come behind playing things like 3rd party "regular" maps and playing the "unliked" default maps (vertigo, oilrig, storm, torn, etc.) that people will slowly change...I mean there was a time when alot of people didn't like scoutzknives...now nearly everyone does...

however I do think that we should change a couple things...

1) make maps not last as long (like 20 minutes or less)

2) add in the "skunk" rules

3) add more maps to the mapcycle even 3rd party maps

4) go back to the "latenight", "midday", "evening" and "morning" mapcycles (as long as "latenight" doesn't start at 8pm)

5) encourage teamwork ALOT more (i.e. slap spawn campers, team flashers, and the people that in general just don't help out the team other than by killing everyone else)

above all...the admins gotta set the examples...I remember when Fatty and Mags would get on the server...they'd both take command of the team they were on and issue commands to other players and everyone would get involved and the teamplay was some of the best...we need people to do that more often and not just sit back and say "help the team guys"

GC Founder

My opinion actually is not weighted like those who are still wanting to invest themselves in the game. I believe the vision for CS should be created around those that still have a passion for the game. If we run out of those people, then we either need to find more or give it up.

If you want my opinion, I think that a solid mapcycle would work, but I also know that we have ran successfully for years and years WITH the ability to change the map.

What it sounds like is this: we've created a zoo of a server, and the animals in that server drool for AIM type maps and don't really take the game seriously. When it is a normal map, you have a certain "buzzards" that come in a poop all over everyone else and complain about everything.

You know what I really think? We need a large, HUGE helping of Weed n Feed. We need to get rid of what's bringing the server down, and feed the positive that we still have.

GC Founder

In response to playaa: I've been populating (or attempting to populate) for many years now. You MUST decide if you want a full server or a competitive server.

I'd agree with everything you said except for 3. Do that and you'd watch the playercount drop and die.....nobody likes a 3rd party enough to play it 1 v 2. Fill the server first, make it an atmosphere that keeps the server full from 5 pm until 12 AM, and THEN you can mess with some 3rd parties that are actually maps.

well with the 3rd party maps...I guess I mean like back when there was a time when we explored new maps and everyone knew it was happening...one reason people didn't want to play the 3rd party maps was the annoyance of downloading and installing them...but if the maps are hosted on a web server they'll download quicker.

I think if you go about hunting down good 3rd party maps again and advertise that you're doing it (and maybe only play 1 per night at a set time every evening for 30 minutes) then you will draw people in.

and yes I also think that the server needs some weeding...right now it seems like you have a couple types of people...the ones who run around killing everything in their path and ignore the team...the ones who try hard to play as a team and the ones who whine about not playing enough "fun" maps...I say weed out the complainers and those who ignore the team and the game will be fun no matter what map you're on.

oh...and bring back the Warning System

Yeah some of the 3rd party maps that are well made and not made for fun are great. Example de_volare :)

The warning system would be great to bring back again.. it reminds people of the rules. I don't think it was any of the plugins that messed with the ping issues. I think it was with their connections or servers.

Warn does work btw.

Admins who have that ability just need to type:

warn <playername or part of name> or

amx_warn <playername or part of name>

EDIT: just looked it up, 105 warnings issued since 4/18/04.

Drop this and come play UT2k4  Have that shipping expedited.

I can garauntee you that I won't enjoy UT as much as CS...

I started out gaming as a "twitch" gamer with Quake 2...but haven't played one since then online and have never enjoyed the movements of UT engine games...just feels wrong...plus in a twitch gaming environment I NEED to be able to bunny-hop...but in UT it don't work very well...(bunny-hopping is a product of Quake Engine games like Q1, Q2, Q3, HL, CS, CoD, RtCW, etc.)

but...I really just feel drawn by the community of the UT players right now and once the game gets here I think that I'll have fun just because of them.

plus...I REALLY want to play "Bombing Run" with some real people...so as soon as I get UT2K4 expect me to start begging all of you to join me.

I think one reason I enjoy Bombing Run...is not only does it involve some awesome teamwork...but I can run like the johnsonens...(hehe, this said d.i.c.k.ens but was edited :P )

when I concentrate I just seem to be able to dodge well...always have...like in CS last night on awp_map...multiple times I just stood up on a pillar and moved around for 1 or 2 minutes without being shot....however as soon as I fire back...I get shot easily

GC Founder

I warn everytime I look in HLSW or get in Trop. Warning should be the first way to get their attention. They ALWAYS ask why they were warned. Now you have their attention. It's beautiful.

If they whine about it, warn them again.

mrX, how about this, can you create us a graphic on the use of warns / member?

We could start today and equate good admining with warnings (partial joke, but not completely joking). Textpad should let you at least sort by member, no? Dunno.

all of .gc getting warning rights WOULD be pretty cool

nothing crappier than being the only .gc in a server and NOT having Admin rights and having some idiot call you on it when you tell them to stop doing something...