Map Cycle Discussion

If you could remove a map from the cycle to keep the server going stronger and with the bot attack and the recovery that always follows, would you remove one? Which one?

Here's the current cycle. Please comment if you have any input.

Current Cycle:

Crossfire

Valarna*

Dawn

ArcticStronghold

Argento*

RedPlanet

Severance

Dria

Torlan

Ascendancy*

*non-standard (must download somehow)

GC Founder
I'd say keep them all in...we are getting to the point that we have full games in the new maps by the end of the first round. We should update the chatt banners to point peeps to the fourms for the new map downloads...

Probably easiest to just send em to site. I'll do that. Bub's been doing good keeping the d/ls on the site.

Okay, Valarna is a bit anoying sometimes...but only on empty games.

If...and I say again...If we add a rush map, I would put in Frostbite. This is because you can still have a bit of stratagy with a map like that one....Primevil....spaming spidermines...yuck.

GC Founder

Ironically, Valarna is the one that I see most empty when I check. I can't remember exactly which one it is, however.

I'm also not suggesting that we have to REPLACE anything. We could simply remove Valarna as well. Frostbite was the only map that was actually removed on request....someone actually took the time to pop in the forums and ask.

Keep talkin'!

I've been playing on UnrealPlayground site a bit and taking notes on some of their new maps...I'll post some of those that I think deserve being in the rotation when I get home from work. Some are really incredible.

As far as taking a map out, I know Valerna is usually empty, and I dread playing it because it's always me and my team of All-Star Bunch-Up-In-The-Geometry-Glitched Bots. However, from an objective point of view, it deserves to be in the rotation. It's a very good map, not outstanding in one way or another, but it is unique and requires a unique set of skills to play it welldo well . I have not seen any other map that allows (forces) us to excercise our long range skills to the extent that Valerna does, and I think that is important. If we take out Valerna, I would really like it if we found a similar-style map to replace it. If we can't find one suitable, I can always make one myself.

I also notice that Icarus isn't in the rotation...that's an interesting and fun map; any reason why it's not in?

Finally, is there a no-levi mutator anywhere? I hate that thing; it totally ruins games.

-hC

GC Founder

If there were a way to make the goal score change on an individual basis, I'd love to see Icarus in...but it's one of those one way to go marathon maps....with 20 minutes / round and a goal score of 3...... that's potentially 100 minutes of Icarus....dunno why it's a 1 pt / win type of thing (if someone can explain that, please do).

Primeval was actually one that I liked...maybe it was the forest feeling. It can easily be readded. I think it's good for a change...non-stop attack...similar to Frostbite but with one backdoor.

Any GC member can put a vote up in our private UT forum to propose anything, btw. Go for it.

GC Founder

LMAO...I just joined the server and guess what the tip of the day was?

In Onslaught your team blah blah 2 pt, and blah blah 1 pt after overtime. I kinda figured.

So anyways, that tells you that we're doing lots of overtimes.

Heck, overtimes should be worth as much or even more, due to the time involved.

Howabout ONS-ChainsIsle? Small map with lots of mayhem, and needs a decent team strategy if you want to win. Even the bots play well on it. Was a fun map to play on the Damage Inc server back when I could actually find people on there.

You can give it a shot here (Link), just extract the file to your maps folder and play as usual. :)

(that link is on my ISP hosting; I don't know how much transfer I get with it so please be kind)

That's the desert one? If so, yes, that's a good one. The other two are crummy, though. (unless you like falling off the edge of the map whilst chasing ppl, but that's not really my thing)

-hC

No it's not the desert one, actually I want all the new maps in.... :) but I'm just being greedy. Yorda is the multi level manta one.

Penty