ATI Cheating?

TeK

Noticed the post over on aixgaming.com

Copied from there.

I held back on posting this because of the controversy behind it, but I'll let you all decide how bad (or good) it really is. It appears as though nVidia has taken ATI's latest chipset, the R380, and scanned it with an X-Ray machine of some sort. From the pictures, they were able to discover that ATI is using a simple AGP to PCI-E bridge on a chip that looks almost identical to their R360 core from the 9800 series. ATI has yet to comment on the photographs, but you can be sure things will get a bit more interesting as we begin a new week. You can check out the report from WinBeta and the pictures by hitting up the link below.

Link to it.

http://www.winbeta.org/comments.php?id=170&catid=1

Interesting or not you tech heads? Lies or not?

heh, i guess that could be considered lies since its in addition to and not really native, but honestly, not many people at all will be switching to PCI-express. Not only are they limited to intel atm with this, but also DDR 2 and a whole new platform that will cost you more then an Athlon64 setup will way less performance.

Might be cheating, not my call, but it doesn't really matter :P AMD's the big dog now, and their platforms are staying DDR1 and agp for a little while. Nice find though. Oh, and this definately won't affect the sale of ATI's x800, that card is second to none when it comes to gaming.

Regardless of what ATi or nVidia do/don't do I've found most of these debates to just cause fractures in certain communities and a bunch of moaning and griping on both sides. As long as the card runs I don't really care how they do it.

Did ATi cheap on native PCIe support? Did nVidia bring all this up to start a smear campaign against ATi? Which brings us to, if you are to involve yourself in the debate, will you be a tool for ATi or nVidia?

Link

With this article, we were also trying to put an end to the ATI vs. NVIDIA PCI Express debate. Our conclusion? The debate was much ado about nothing - both solutions basically perform the same. ATI's native PCI Express offering does nothing to benefit performance and NVIDIA's bridged solution does nothing to hamper performance.