Took the first ride!

General J

:D:D:o:o 30 seems so much faster again! :D:D Just took the bike around our little circle about 3 times... On the straightaway I rolled on it a bit and hit 30 like instantly! I am thinking I need to adjust the clutch cable. I was having a bit of difficulty with shifting which didn't happen at the MSF course today once I got my foot between the left peg and the shifter... stupid Honda Nighthawk 250's! There were not made for anyone with a foot or boot taller than about an inch and a half, nor were they made for someone over like 5'5". Was about the most uncomfortable thing! Once I got my boot jammed in there to shift, I was fine at the MSF class today. Have to go back tomorrow for part 2 at 6:45 am. Wish me luck on my riding test! :D:D Open air is so great! :freak:

(edited)

:angry: So, I walked away from my MSF class after a day and about 1 hour. We were doing an exercise that we really needed to be in second so we could use controlled throttle (these bikes had very little throttle control. Didn't help that the throttle was very loose too. Slightest touch on them seemed to give you atleast 50% throttle) and not have it all jumpy like it is in first. Well all of yesterday I had problems getting my boot to fit between the left peg and the shifter. My instructor said "Oh don't worry about it. But if you have another pair of leather, over the ankle shoes you should wear them." No I don't have another pair of over the ankle shoes, only my boots and tennis shoes... So today while doing this, I have about 2 feet to start off, jam my foot between shifter and peg, and shift while concentrating on pulling a tight U-turn. Wouldn't have been a problem if I could have gotten my fat foot under the shifter. Even the instructor, who used my bike for demo, was having trouble with it. So, I pull off to the side, a little flustered, and the instructor comes over to yell at me about how she told me to get another pair of shoes, and "I told you to have another pair of shoes today!" At that this point I figured that I was not going to pass the riding portion (later this afternoon) of the test using those bikes with my boots. So, I plan on practicing around my block and maybe having a lesson on my bike if I so feel the need. Then just sucking it up and taking the riding portion up at the DMV. I was impressed by the MSF course up until I walked away. The instructors were great, a little confusing with mixed up signals they were giving us, but great. Mechanically - turning, throttling, clutch, and brakes- I was doing just fine.

Just to give you an idea of how short the shifter was, from the sole to the top right behind my toes (where the boot bends with my foot) is about 2.25" - 2.5"

Now, note that my little ninja has enough room to fit my boots easily between the peg and the shifter. Just to prove it to myself, I climbed on and practiced shifting quickly between 1st and neutral (down and up, down and up). No problems.

Edited by General J

ah man, thats crappy... so you were using the MSF course's bike and it didn't have the proper room to accomodate your boots ? thats crap. You have the proper equiptment, its not your fault....

I'm sure you will get everything sorted ;)

ps. thanks for that video clip man. it was totally jaw dropping, all twenty minutes of it. :D i would be scared to go that fast in a viper, let alone a BUSA with big vore and NOS.... :drool:

I think it's crappy that she was trying to say it was your fault because she told you to get different boots and you didn't. The should really have equipment to accommodate all sizes...I would try to get your money back if I was you.

I will be calling tomorrow and talking to the guy who runs this course. My New Balance tennis shoes that I bought for work are taller in the same area than my boots... So those would have done me no good at all. I don't think it would come down to it, but I am pretty sure that in some sort of legal manner, I could get my money back. They should have had a few bikes with a longer shift lever or something.